Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the initial launch weekend for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c last month, analytics firm Localytics reported that it was seeing about 3.5 times as many iPhone 5s units showing up as iPhone 5c units, highlighting a strong preference for the higher-priced models by early adopters. At the time, we noted that the gap was likely to narrow over time and a report last week from a separate research firm indicated that the margin had indeed fallen to two-to-one.

Localytics has now published a new report that provides a more complete look at the data over the past month, revealing how the iPhone 5c has been steadily gaining traction both in the U.S. and abroad, with the iPhone 5s-to-iPhone 5c ratio falling to 1.9 in the U.S. and 2.3 globally. Localytics' numbers are cumulative since launch, indicating that the current sales ratios are even closer.

localytics_iphone_5s_5c_ratio_oct.jpg
The iPhone 5s remains in very short supply, with carriers such as Verizon indicating that they could have sold even more units of the device had supplies been readily available. The iPhone 5c, in contrast, has seen good supplies throughout Apple's distribution channels, allowing the company to meet demand. As a result, the ratios at which the devices are being seen are not exactly reflective of true demand, but it seems clear that demand is evening out a bit following the initial surge from early adopters focused on the iPhone 5s. As more mainstream customers look to upgrade when their current contracts run out, demand for the two lines may end up being in significantly closer balance.

Article Link: Sales Gap Between iPhone 5s and 5c Narrowing Over Time

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
#1 - The gap is now narrowing probably because the phones are available to more and more people as time after launch continues.

#2 - I love how if it's an Apple product, things are spun as "The 5c is still in great supply" as opposed to reality where "The 5c is not selling like hotcakes like the 5s is." I'm a huge apple fan and just think it's funny.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Here's hoping we'll see some clear sales figures at the event tomorrow, rather than these cryptic ratios that don't seem to really tell us anything.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
I can see it now...
Customer: I want the gold iPhone

VZW kid: sorry we don't have that in stock, but we do have their colored ones in stock or white. It works just the same and just as good as the other one.

Customer: okay

Gets home, why doesnt my finger work to unlock this phone?

Calls Apple....

Starts hating verizon

:D

lusky

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
This is what I thought might happen. The 5c was never going to be a blockbuster line, it is just going to find a set level and consistently sell.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Turns out that early adopters buy high end, cutting edge products. Turns out that price sensitive, wait and see consumers wait and then buy the cheaper one.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
Well this is obvious. The early adopters are the ones who want the cutting edge technology. Over time the 5C will sell better.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No kidding. 5C is the long tail play not necessarily for early adopters. But lets not put this on the front page as the main story because rumored 5C production cuts get more clicks.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
the 5C is actually smart for Apple because they lowered their cost while keeping the price as the same price that the 5 would have sold for had it dropped down the the second tier device. This should help Apples net profit quite a bit.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
#1 - The gap is now narrowing probably because the phones are available to more and more people as time after launch continues.

#2 - I love how if it's an Apple product, things are spun as "The 5c is still in great supply" as opposed to reality where "The 5c is not selling like hotcakes like the 5s is." I'm a huge apple fan and just think it's funny.

I guess you missed all the Apple is doomed spin last week because the 5C production was apparently cut.

Also, the fact that the phones are available in more locations has no bearing on the sales gap closing. If you're implying that emerging markets are impacting it, notice how the gap is wider outside the US.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Both the 5S and 5C are selling extremely well around the world.

People who have described the 5C as a flop are wrong.

Wildly. Wrong.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Well duh. The apple fanboys who ordered one on launch day bought the 5s, and the average consumer waited a few weeks, and more 5c's were sold. Not that surprising.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
No kidding. 5C is the long tail play not necessarily for early adopters. But lets not put this on the front page as the main story because rumored 5C production cuts get more clicks.

Once people realize this it'll be good. Bad things is they will now spin it a different way. Why? Because for some reason the Apple. "Fans" don't think a plastic phone can have quality. Well I'm sorry, but the 5c is a quality device. Just as the iPhone 5 is a quality device. I understand that some people prefer aluminum over plastic. So be it... There's just no sense in hating on a product. It's your opinion

My opinion is that I do NOT like the design of the 5/5s. I had a launch day 5 and returned it to stay on my 4s. The only reason I'm not on the 4s now was because of LTE. That said the sales gap between the 5 s and 5c will only get more narrow now. Early adopters have mostly gotten there...

Here's an instance. At my local Best Buy:

Customer: do you have the 5s in Gold ?
Employee: no, we have it in gray or silver.
Customer: I don't want those colors.
Employee: we do have most colors of the 5c.
Customer: isn't it plastic?
Employee: oh, I don't think you can consider this normal plastic.

Guess what happened ? They walked out with a white and pink 5c. Was it because it was pushed on them? Maybe, but it sold.

The 5s is in stock in my city everywhere just not Gold.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
"The 5c is not selling like hotcakes like the 5s is."

Why would anyone expect the 5c to have huge sales fast after release? It's a minor tweak to an existing design with a price drop versus a brand new model.

Of course the new model is going to be the one people preorder and stand in line for. But over the course of the quarter and the year, the cheaper model will sell more, just as it has in past years. None of that is a surprise at all.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
I still find it odd that the 5c isn't offered in a grey or black color. Like the rest of you guys, I understand the math on how little the true upgrade cost really is from 5c to 5s (when averaged out over a two year contract) - but if I was in the market for a 5c, I would want something a little less ... effeminate.

No offense to the real men who bought a pink one. Just saying.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is all just foreplay. The real action is tomorrow when we hear how Apple spins the numbers. But the 9 million on openening weekend, however it gets split, is still a monster of a blockbuster.

Apple is so doomed :D

Last edited:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
This is expected. The 5s will be a huge hit for contract buyers while the 5c will take the market for out of contract up graders

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Now something completely different...

Many years ago, when iMacs were offered in six different colours, dealers would see which ones sold the least and offered them like £10 cheaper - just so that people who didn't care about the colour would pick them. Does anyone see that happening with the iPhone 5c?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I still find it odd that the 5c isn't offered in a grey or black color. Like the rest of you guys, I understand the math on how little the true upgrade cost really is from 5c to 5s (when averaged out over a two year contract) - but if I was in the market for a 5c, I would want something a little less ... effeminate.

No offense to the real men who bought a pink one. Just saying.

So what you are "just saying" is that men who buy a 5c are effeminate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.