Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the final unveiling of OS X Mavericks at tomorrow's media event and an expected public launch soon after, several high-profile websites including The New York Times and NBA.com have begun supporting the new Safari push notifications feature included with Mavericks, as noted by user Sky Blue in our forums. The feature allows users to subscribe to websites' notification services and have various types of alerts pushed to their Macs even when Safari is not running.

Push notifications in Mavericks may be a handy alternative to RSS or Twitter for many users, delivering clickable notifications directly to the users' desktops in a timely fashion.

macrumors_push_safari.jpg
While several sites have already begun to go live with their notification services, accessible to users running the OS X Mavericks beta, others will undoubtedly be following suit as Mavericks officially launches to the public. MacRumors will be supporting the feature, allowing users to receive instant notifications whenever new articles are posted to the site.

OS X Mavericks is expected to launch to the public before the end of the month, but may arrive as soon as this week following the final introduction at tomorrow's media event.

Article Link: Websites Begin Supporting Safari Push Notifications Ahead of Mavericks Launch

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I do not see myself using this one bit.

EDIT: After reading some of the comments that have come after mine (especially about using this for news notifications, I completely have changed my mind. I still don't see myself using it much, but I can definitely see the benefit of having the feature.

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Really smart implementation.

I'm sure when Windows 9 is released, they'll implement this (as well as Samsung with "S Center" or something -__-).

----------

I do not see myself using this one bit.

Could definitely see myself using this for real time MR updates.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I didn't understand initially when this was announced, how this would be useful to me. Now with News notifications I can see myself really using this.

(Would definitely use the notifications for a new story from MR)

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I'm a fan. Useful for things like ESPN, Macrumors, etc.

Edit: If there was a way (maybe there is) to pick which FB/Twitter notifications went there, it would be even better.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think this is a really cool idea. It looks like it's going to be implemented well, but I just hope websites don't use it to push spam.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Why was RSS support ever removed from Safari in the first place? It seemed completely unnecessary at the time. I wonder if this was in Apple's playbook. It would have been slightly redundant to have push notifications and a built-in RSS reader, yet would have made a lot more people annoyed (I think) if they would have simply replaced RSS with push notification now at this time.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Why was RSS support ever removed from Safari in the first place? It seemed completely unnecessary at the time. I wonder if this was in Apple's playbook. It would have been slightly redundant to have push notifications and a built-in RSS reader, yet would have made a lot more people annoyed (I think) if they would have simply replaced RSS with push notification now at this time.

Why ? One word.

Google.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm sure when Windows 9 is released, they'll implement this (as well as Samsung with "S Center" or something -

I would hope so. They more platforms that adopt this, the more likely a website would offer this. The way it is now, the websites have to enable this feature. I don't think you can define your own notification triggers.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I think this is a really cool idea. It looks like it's going to be implemented well, but I just hope websites don't use it to push spam.

I doubt websites will abuse it. Them more subscribers they have to their website, the more people that have the potential to visit the site more often than usual. If one starts spamming ads, the user would unsubscribe, thus cutting off the "hey look at me!" aspect of having push notifications.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Here is the real question. If I click on the website's notification, will it open the link in my default browser or will it open Safari?

If it opens Firefox/Chrome, then I can see this being useful. Otherwise it's like iOS launching Apple Maps when you click an address - ********** annoying.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Here is the real question. If I click on the website's notification, will it open the link in my default browser or will it open Safari?

If it opens Firefox/Chrome, then I can see this being useful. Otherwise it's like iOS launching Apple Maps when you click an address - ********** annoying.

Im going to guess Safari, but hey i could be wrong, it could be your default web-browser. Tho even if not you could probably use some terminal command or download something that would make it go to a different browser.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Yes. So happy.

Edit: I want to be clear. My post was in all caps so that there was no ambiguity to my level of excitement.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
One question though. Will this push notifications to our iPhones? Otherwise, I don't really know the utility of push notifications if I'm sitting on my butt in front of a desktop.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009

Can't Firefox/Chrome use the Notification Center API to do something similar themselves?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.