Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After going offline earlier today in advance of today's iPad Air launch, Apple's online stores in the Asia-Pacific region have returned for business.

ipad_air_au_apple_store.jpg

In line with reports that supplies would be plentiful, all models of the iPad Air are currently listed as shipping within 24 hours in Australia, China (only Wi-Fi models available), Japan, and Singapore, while Apple's Hong Kong store is listing 1-2 week shipping estimates.

All Apple online stores around the world are currently online, but the company's European stores will be going offline later today in advance of orders going live in a number of countries there. North America will follow several hours later, with orders set to go live in the U.S. and Canada at 12:01 AM Pacific Time.

Update: All iPad Air models in Apple's Hong Kong online store have now moved to "Currently Unavailable". Apple's outlets in Hong Kong invariably see high demand as customers seek to purchase devices there and export them to China. While that impact may be partially muted by the fact that Wi-Fi models are also launching in China itself today, pricing differences mean that the same devices are up to 15% cheaper in Hong Kong than in China.

Article Link: Apple's Asia-Pacific Online Stores Begin Taking iPad Air Orders, Shipping Within 24 Hours

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple is dooooooooomed!

Can be said about any launch news. Supplies available? They made too many and will lose money on account. Supplies not available? They can't maintain their supply chain and won't make money on account of it.

All news is bad news in MR Forum land.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Can't wait to go the Apple store tomorrow and play with these new Airs.

Though I'm thinking I'll wait for a retina iPad Mini white/32GB/T-mobile :)

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
128GB for a Retina Mini will be nice. What's with the delay on the Mini?

Depends if you want the conspiracy twist or not.

Conspiracy: they want people to be tempted by the more profitable iPad Air first.

No conspiracy: they couldn't have enough panels made to launch at the same time as the iPad Air so they pushed it back as far as they could without giving an odd early-mid Dec. launch time frame.

Virtua4

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
I just logged into the Australian store and went through ordering one - seems only for shipping not for in store pickup :(.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Can't wait to go the Apple store tomorrow and play with these new Airs.

Though I'm thinking I'll wait for a retina iPad Mini white/32GB/T-mobile :)

I "think" I'll get the rMini as well but going to play with the Air as well just to make sure I'm making the right decision :)

FirePhantom

macrumors member
Wait, why is it 8% cheaper in Australia compared to the UK?

For the 64GB WiFi model:
Australia: AU$799 – AU$73 GST = AU$726 = £429
UK: £559 – £94 VAT = £465​

I thought Australians were always complaining about Apple products being so much more expensive for them compared to everyone else.

Jacquear

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Australia
iPad Time!

No pickup in store available in Aus.
Though I live across the road from the store :D no campers tonight interestingly enough.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Torn between the Mini and Air

When I travel on public transportation or in a place where I just want to check my iPad for a few minutes the Mini is really nice. But for extended periods of time where I can get comfortable and just put it in my lap than I prefer a full sized iPad. What to do....

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
When I travel on public transportation or in a place where I just want to check my iPad for a few minutes the Mini is really nice. But for extended periods of time where I can get comfortable and just put it in my lap than I prefer a full sized iPad. What to do....

Now that the iPad Air is lighter, I'd go for the bigger real estate option. :)

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Wait, why is it 8% cheaper in Australia compared to the UK?

For the 64GB WiFi model:
Australia: AU$799 – AU$73 GST = AU$726 = £429
UK: £559 – £94 VAT = £465​

I thought Australians were always complaining about Apple products being so much more expensive for them compared to everyone else.

Have you thought about import taxes? Also, in technicality, Australia is closer to China than the UK is...

Virtua4

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Have you thought about import taxes? Also, in technicality, Australia is closer to China than the UK is...

When I lived in Oz electricals were always way more expensive. Think its really more to do with the exchange rate - the AUD$ is so strong these days compared to the UK£.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.