Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

App marketing service Fiksu has been tracking adoption of Apple's recent products, sharing some interesting data today comparing the new iPad Air to previous iPad launches.

ipadairusage_vs_otheripads-800x338.png

Two days after the launch of the iPad Air, the new tablet's share of overall iPad activity is five times that of the iPad 4 and more than three times that of the iPad mini following their launches last year. The iPad Air currently represents 0.73% of total active iPads after two days, compared to 0.14% for the fourth-generation iPads and 0.21% for the first-generation iPad mini in the same time frame last year.

One caveat for the comparison to last year's data is that the 2012 launches saw staggered releases for Wi-Fi and cellular models, with cellular models shipping at least two weeks later than Wi-Fi models in the first wave of countries. The data also follows a report from research firm Piper Jaffray Friday showing from a small survey that 75% of surveyed iPad Air purchasers on launch day already owned an iPad, compared to only 58% for last year's iPad mini launch.

ipadcurrentusage-800x337.png

In terms of current usage, the iPad Air's 0.7% share of active iPads still pales in comparison to other models, with the iPad mini, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2, and first-generation iPad making up 20.4%, 22.0%, 17.8%, 38.6% and 0.5% of total iPads respectively.

Fiksu is also tracking adoption of the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, and iOS 7, finding stronger adoption for iOS 7 than was seen with prior versions of iOS. Fiksu's data shows iOS 7 running on 71.2% of total iOS devices, compared to 62% for iOS 6 and 51% for iOS 5 at this same point following their releases.

Lastly, Fiksu's data on iPhone usage shows the iPhone 5s making up 4.6% of total iPhones and the iPhone 5c making up 2.0% of total iPhones. The iPhone 5 still makes up the largest share among all iPhones with a 37.3% market share, followed by the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 with 30.4% and 23.2% shares respectively.

Article Link: iPad Air Adoption Outpacing Last Year's iPad 4 and iPad Mini Launches

jonyive4

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
orly, cause like I thought everyone was happy that their iPad 3 was outdated in the same year it came out.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Despite great specs for the iPad air, the iPad mini retina is my next buy. And as it gets the biggest upgrade of any iPad (essentially iPad 2 to iPad 5 specs), the differences in using the mini 1 to the mini 2 will be delicious!

JacinTatt

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I held an iPad Air for the first time today in a Telstra store and immediately any doubts I had about the product vanished. It was super smooth using it, incredibly light and my hand didn't get sore holding it. It was sitting beside some Android-based tablets. I put the iPad Air down and started using one and audibly laughed at how clunky, slow and unnatural it felt in comparison.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Good news! However, I am waiting on the iPad Mini Retina! I think once it is released provided Apple can supply enough (which is now in doubt) we'll see those numbers skyrocket!

derekaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2004
It is such a good device, I love mine, I can hold it in one hand, its thin, its light and it is super speedy. A great replacement for my old iPad 3.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Despite great specs for the iPad air, the iPad mini retina is my next buy. And as it gets the biggest upgrade of any iPad (essentially iPad 2 to iPad 5 specs), the differences in using the mini 1 to the mini 2 will be delicious!

I'm actually wondering if they will use the same exact A7 chip in the Retina iPad mini as in the iPad Air. It's still a really big difference and the jump in price should make it obvious.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I'm actually wondering if they will use the same exact A7 chip in the Retina iPad mini as in the iPad Air. It's still a really big difference and the jump in price should make it obvious.

I bet they underclock the same A7 (maybe to 5s speeds 1.3)

It's cool to see these great adoption rates. I bet they kill this holiday season. I just hope they can make enough minis to meet demand.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I bet iPad Mini w/Retina Display will see a much higher adoption rate.

It is the biggest upgrade for an iPad in 2 direct iteration. It's going from totally sucks (A5) to incredibly fast (A7) in just one year.

But yeah I think the A7 on Mini will be slightly underclocked compared to the one in iPad Air. Plus the Mini also has much smaller battery meaning the Air wins endurance contest.

To me those things alone worth the extra $100. But of course I love bigger screen and weight reduction is awesome too.

Tough choices between the two, nonetheless.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm absolutely in love with the iPad Air. It's the best iPad since the iPad 2 and the most appealing product of Apple in a long time.

----------

It is the biggest upgrade for an iPad in 2 direct iteration. It's going from totally sucks (A5) to incredibly fast (A7) in just one year.

But yeah I think the A7 on Mini will be slightly underclocked compared to the one in iPad Air. Plus the Mini also has much smaller battery meaning the Air wins endurance contest.

To me those things alone worth the extra $100. But of course I love bigger screen and weight reduction is awesome too.

Tough choices between the two, nonetheless.
Actually it's 3 generations, like from the iPad 2 to the Air (5).

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I held an iPad Air for the first time today in a Telstra store and immediately any doubts I had about the product vanished. It was super smooth using it, incredibly light and my hand didn't get sore holding it. It was sitting beside some Android-based tablets. I put the iPad Air down and started using one and audibly laughed at how clunky, slow and unnatural it felt in comparison.

Tim Cooke wants to know where to send the check?

----------

I'm absolutely in love with the iPad Air. It's the best iPad since the iPad 2 and the most appealing product of Apple in a long time.

----------

Actually it's 3 generations, like from the iPad 2 to the Air (5).

The newest iPad better than the old ?!

U don't say!

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia

... and as much as this sounds like typical Apple fanboi-ism, it's the honest truth.

I too did something similar yesterday at Harvey Norman. I played with the Air, and then played with some Samsung tablets. The experience was so jarring that I too, laughed. What was immediately obvious was the poor response of the touch detection, and the slow and jittery transitions and animations. The frame-rate seemed very poor.

On another note, my 64GB White Air arrived today and I am super happy with it. Although the glass seems to have some minor amounts of flex. It feels a little more like plastic when I tap the glass. But I guess that happens when you make everything thinner?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I love these articles that tout total adoption in .7% metrics. Let's get super excited about less than 1%. I'm sure it is a big deal comparing the total number in the market, the supply and adoption in a short time, however it just sounds silly.

Of course if they want to put in in real world metrics, the iPad Air has an adoption rate of .7% over the first weekend whereas people that try to visit the site and are able to successfully signup via Healthcare.gov must be somewhere in the .001% rate or less. So I guess that puts it in perspective. :roll eyes:

Anyway, I got a Mini LTE in June not wanting to wait for a Retina, and now with the Retina released but supplies an issue, not sure if I will want to go through the hassle of trying to sell my Mini and how long it might take to get a Mini 2. I would pass it on to the Kids as out iPad 2 was stolen, except my little ones don't need an LTE model iPad and my wife really doesn't want her own.

Will have to check out the Air but I really like the weight and form factor of the Mini.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
You mean the ipad 2 is almost 40% of all iPads and Apple was smart to keep it against the advice of forum members here? SHOCKING!

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I bet it won't considering it's pretty much a fact that supply of the 7.9" displays will be severely constrained.

----------

I love these articles that tout total adoption in .7% metrics. Let's get super excited about less than 1%. I'm sure it is a big deal comparing the total number in the market, the supply and adoption in a short time, however it just sounds silly.

Of course if they want to put in in real world metrics, the iPad Air has an adoption rate of .7% over the first weekend whereas people that try to visit the site and are able to successfully signup via Healthcare.gov must be somewhere in the .001% rate or less. So I guess that puts it in perspective. :roll eyes:
I completely agree. These statistics are totally usesless. The fact that the usage diagram shows flat lines proves this: what's point of using a graph when nothing changes?

Furthermore, to put things in perspective: the iPad Air has been on sale for 3 days. Suppose it sold big time, like 2 million units. Even then, it would only be 1.2% of ALL sold iPads (170 million). The time frame is just too small to even begin with measuring such data.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
There's no way only 0.5% of iPads are 1st generation devices. I know a lot of people using first gen. iPads? :confused:

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I couldn't justify purchasing an iPad Air to replace my iPad 3 given that functionally it doesn't do anything more for my purposes. However once I actually held an air, I couldn't resist.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
iPad 2 was released over 2 years ago and it's still the king. Maybe the average person doesn't care about retina display.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
I went in to the Apple Store on Friday to have a look and feel, because I am trying to make a decision whether to get the Air or wait for the Mini. Although I was impressed by the lightness of the Air compared with previous full-sized iPads, I still don't think it's light enough to hold in one hand for long periods... I guess some of that just comes down to its overall size, because the weight is distributed further from the hand (insert some physics about fulcrum or something here ;))

As much as I am impressed, I think it has made my decision... I will be waiting for the Mini. However, iOS 7 still continues to disappoint me; I tried rotating the Air to landscape while viewing the Music app, and the frame rate was awful! It feels so clunky now. We have all this extra power with the A7, and it has to deal with badly written rendering code in the OS. Shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.