Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, NPD DisplaySearch analyst David Hsieh offered an overview of Apple's display plans for future devices, based on sources in the company's supply chain. Among the products included in Hsieh's analysis was Apple's long-rumored "iWatch" smart watch device, with Hsieh only briefly noting that Apple appeared to be looking to source both 1.3-inch and 1.63-inch flexible AMOLED displays with resolutions of 320 x 320 pixels.

galaxygear.jpg
Samsung's Galaxy Gear smart watch
According to the Korea Herald (via Unwired View), Hsieh offered a few additional details on Apple's plans at a conference today, noting that the company will be using the two sizes to offer watches targeting men with a larger 1.7-inch display and women with a smaller 1.3-inch option.
Apple's wearable iWatch is expected to come with a 1.7-inch OLED display for men's watches and a 1.3-inch OLED screen for women, David Hsieh, DisplaySearch's Vice President of the Greater China Market, said at a conference today in Taiwan, citing Apple sources. [...]

It is yet to be confirmed whether the displays will be flexible but sources said it was a possibility, since Apple will want to upstage Samsung's Galaxy Gear.
Separate from Hsieh's comments, the report claims that Apple could introduce the iWatch as soon as late this year, but that appears to be extremely unlikely given that it is already mid-November and that recent rumors have pointed to a late 2014 timeframe for launch.

Just days ago, fellow NPD DisplaySearch analyst Paul Gagnon noted that Apple appears to have put its major television product plans on hold for the time being in order to focus on wearables such as the iWatch. Apple's ambitious TV plans have reportedly been stymied by difficult negotiations with content providers, with the company feeling that it needs to have the content side in place before being able to offer something more substantial than the current Apple TV box on the hardware side.

Article Link: Apple's 'iWatch' Said to Arrive in Separate 1.7- and 1.3-Inch Display Sizes for Men and Women

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
i have fairly small wrists, so it's either wear a loose watch or wear a woman's one. lol.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Make it right apple, just take your time.
Hopefully a week or maybe a month standby time :D

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I think it is a very good idea to offer two different sizes, but I don't think it is as wise to say one is for men and one is for women. Especially if one is going to cost a different amount.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I've never been a watch guy...in fact I find them annoying. But, after hanging with a sales guy at ATT Store who had a Pebble, I might actually be sold on the concept. Not sure if I'm willing to wait for Apple to release it.

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
The watch has been done. I like Apple, but this is following, not leading.

That's like saying back in the day, "The MP3 has already been done. I like Apple, but the iPod is following, not leading....."

Same could be said about the phone, the tablet, and now with the watch (and in the future TV).

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm a man with a very thin left wrist and a very well-developed right wrist.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The watch has been done. I like Apple, but this is following, not leading.

Exactly, and the MP3 player has been done and the Cell Phone has been done and the Tablet has been done.....yet Apple still ended up being the leader in all of them. By your logic there's no way Apple could bring back to popularity a breed that's been "Done". ;)

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
Yay!

I am really glad that Apple did this. My wrist measures 6.8" - and I am 5'10", 150lbs so I can only imagine all the smaller women out there - and there was no way I was going to hang a big watch on my wrist. I hope this works out (and I can read it without my glasses on). But, as pointed out, just call them Small and Large. There are large boned women and small boned men a plenty!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I see a lot of women wearing bigger watches these days and it looks great. Nothing sexier then a woman wearing a Submariner or Daytona or even a Panerai. Im not sure how the watch is going to fit in for people who prefer to wear a fine swiss mechanical but still love their electronic gadgets. Maybe the iwatch on the right hand. I certainly don't want to start that trend but if it catches on why not.

Also it remains to be seen if it will be water/rain proof etc.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm surprised there aren't any comments about the PPI. I would think apple would want something similar to their other devices.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
There may be 2 sizes. But I doubt Apple will advertise them as a girl version and a guy version. Will people draw those conclusions? Of course. Just like the white iPhone/iPad is for "girls".....

Ever since I was forced to get the white iPhone 3G, I've had a penchant for white phones. However, I prefer the black iPad. Not sure why, just my personal taste I guess.

D.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
And yet... Apple is suing Samsung. I love you Apple... but this is a bit much.

Oi! Apple is suing Samsung. Samsung is suing Apple. That's patents, IP and BS.

Do you think Samsung was the first to create a wrist band that communicates with another device?

I'm fine and onboard with being critical of Apple, but really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.