Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a post from Rockstar, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is coming to iOS next month with full iOS game controller support.
Before GTAV took us to the sun-bleached sidewalks and humming concrete freeways of present-day Los Santos and beyond, there was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the biggest GTA of the PS2 era. Now, head back to the early 90s with CJ and the Grove Street Families when Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas comes to mobile devices next month.

Encompassing Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas and everything in between, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has been upgraded for its mobile release. Newly remastered graphics including dynamic and detailed shadows, greater draw distance, an enriched color palette, plus enhanced character and car models make this the best-looking version of San Andreas yet.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas also features brand new touch controls including contextual control options to display buttons only when you need them and three different control schemes for driving and maneuvering, as well as a reworked checkpoint system for easier progression. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for mobile also comes equipped with full controller support, including Made for iOS controller capability on iOS7.
gtasanandreas.jpg
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was first released for consoles in 2004 and encompasses an enormous open-world map that includes fictional areas of San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles for gamers to play in, as well as 240 individual vehicles. It won numerous game-of-the-year awards after it was released, selling more than 27.5 million copies worldwide.

Last year, Rockstar released Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on iOS, and Grand Theft Auto III back in 2011.

Pricing and exact release date information were not released.

Article Link: GTA: San Andreas Coming to iOS in December With Full MFi Controller Support

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Excited is an understatement. Haven't touched GTA V since finishing the story. Keep coming back to this one - will be incredible to play it on something that fits in my pocket!

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Who could of have foresaw that we would be able to play this in the palms of our hands 10 years ago?!?

It's really crazy isn't it? I wish I could get a glimpse of what things will be like 10 years from today.

----------

Good Luck Sony & Microsoft, its stuff like this that is killing the consoles. :)

I would argue that advances in mobile gaming with products like the iPhone has actually increased Microsoft and Sony's potential audience.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
At the rate iOS products are advancing, maybe we'll eventually see GTA6 for iOS released the same day as other consoles...

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Yes! I've been waiting since this was just a whisper. Buying ipad Air in a couple days and soon as this drops I'm getting it. I will delete every game I have. Now I just need a good controller to play on ipad

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
lol.... no

How no? Sure it won't convert the hardcore gamers, but think about it. PC gamers laugh at console gamers. This is the same thing.

As long as companies are gonna put big games out on iOS, how is that not a game changer? Their is no worries of "backwards compatibility" even as you update your handset. Now that there are actual controllers for the iPhone, and you connect it to your TV, it's essentially an ultraportable gaming system.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Good Luck Sony & Microsoft, its stuff like this that is killing the consoles. :)

Your argument is valid but invalid at the same time. Games such as GTA San Andreas have already been released, but is now being released to mobile products. Current generation smartphones while powerful, do not come close to the graphic capabilities of current gen condoles (PS4 & Xbox One.) When a smartphone can run Crysis 1, then we'll talk. but until then, games on IOS & android devices will have PSP, PS2 graphics.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
I would give my left nut for this

I LOOOOOVED ff7, however I'm not sure what the appeal would be to play it on my iphone... ipad, maaaaaybe.
I'd much rather have them release it on the PS4 with completely reworked graphics and looking more like the advent children movies. Now THAT would be worthy of my left nut.
play it on iOS? Meh

GTA is different because you can play just pick up and kill some pedestrians, then put it back down.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Your argument is valid but invalid at the same time. Games such as GTA San Andreas have already been released, but is now being released to mobile products. Current generation smartphones while powerful, do not come close to the graphic capabilities of current gen condoles (PS4 & Xbox One.) When a smartphone can run Crysis 1, then we'll talk. but until then, games on IOS & android devices will have PSP, PS2 graphics.

The new iPhone 5S and iPad Air's GPU performs at around 115Gflops. A PSP performs around only 2Gflops, PS2 6Gflops, a PS Vita 7Gflops, a PS3 174Gflops. Even taking into account the resolution change; iOS devices are much more than the PSP/PS2 level.

RaggieSoft

macrumors member
I'm looking forward to this, looks like I'm going to have to clear up my iPhone 5 to get ready.

One of the things I loved the most about the PC version of SA was being able to grab a scripting mod that "opened up" Las Venturas and San Fierro (SP?) in the very beginning. I'm not into the missions, I just like to spawn a tank and drive like a maniac, and would love to be able to do the same on the iOS version :)

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
You will be very surprised to know that a big lot of gamers are inclined towards better gameplay than they are towards the "graphics".
For me atleast GTA VC >> GTA IV & CS Source >> COD MW.
That is why the consoles are dying, most of the gameplay innovation right now is taking place on mobile games, while consoles and PC games are strictly sticking to pushing the graphic realism.

Yes! I've been waiting since this was just a whisper. Buying ipad Air in a couple days and soon as this drops I'm getting it. I will delete every game I have. Now I just need a good controller to play on ipad
Yeah, well you are lucky they didn't even wait for the 10th anniversary this time. :)

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
At the rate iOS products are advancing, maybe we'll eventually see GTA6 for iOS released the same day as other consoles...

i can see this happening far down the road if cloud gaming gets a serious improvement.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
How no? Sure it won't convert the hardcore gamers, but think about it. PC gamers laugh at console gamers. This is the same thing.

As long as companies are gonna put big games out on iOS, how is that not a game changer? Their is no worries of "backwards compatibility" even as you update your handset. Now that there are actual controllers for the iPhone, and you connect it to your TV, it's essentially an ultraportable gaming system.

You'd have to convert the hardcore gamers to kill consoles

Also, they're not putting big games on iOS. They're putting OLD games on iOS where there's little risk because those games made back their initial investment years ago.

Other than that there's no worthwhile exclusive IP and the pricepoint on iOS is too cheap to do any damage

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
not gonna happen. can you see them charging $50 for it on the app store?

But they can charge $10 and make a slightly limited app, or god forbid a freemium app like Real Racing 3. That would be a cold day in hell.

But the concern here would be how to put a 20 gig game on a mobile device.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The new iPhone 5S and iPad Air's GPU performs at around 115Gflops. A PSP performs around only 2Gflops, PS2 6Gflops, a PS Vita 7Gflops, a PS3 174Gflops. Even taking into account the resolution change; iOS devices are much more than the PSP/PS2 level.
Anandtech stated 76.8 GFlops, among other places. Where'd you get 115 from?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007

That doesn't sound correct to me that the PS Vita is 7Gflops.

I did some googling and found many contradictory sources for the amount of Gflops present in the PS Vita but I did find one page which specifically looked at its GPU and found it to be 51.2Gflops.

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

To me this sounds more reasonable and that's only the GPU portion of the console. The CPU probably adds more to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.