Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As numerous potential customers have discovered, the Retina iPad mini has been in very short supply since its quiet launch earlier this month, with Apple reportedly struggling with display yields that have limited production.

retina_ipad_mini_space_gray_silver.jpg
Several analysts had previously predicted that Retina iPad mini production would be limited to roughly two million units for the fourth quarter of 2013, but a new report from Digitimes claims that the production issues have been solved and that Apple has forged ahead with orders for four million units for the month of November as the company scrambles to build up its supplies for the holiday shopping season.
As bottlenecks in making components for the iPad mini with Retina have gradually been removed, Apple has increase orders in November to nearly four million units, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

Currently, Apple's orders for the iPad mini with Retina have already surpassed those for the first-generation iPad mini, the sources noted.
In-store availability of Retina iPad mini models has improved markedly for Apple's U.S. retail stores, with the company starting to offer walk-in sales late last week, although availability of Wi-Fi models remains much stronger than for cellular-capable models. Orders placed through Apple's online store are currently being quoted 5-10 business day shipping estimates for all models.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Supplies Improving for Holidays

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
A year ago I would have applauded apple(s suppliers) for being able to churn out so many iPhones and iPads to meet customer demand. But all the negative rumours and vitriol about apples gradual slide into irrelevance makes me fear (quite unfoundedly) that it's simply that the demand is so low, that supply has already been met.

I don't believe it, I'm sure demand is phenomenal, but it's an unfortunate knee jerk reaction that I'm sure will be raised in a few posts time ...

aWretchLikeMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
I bought one as well. Amazing product. I only recognize the screen problems because I had an iPad 4 and cause I was looking for the problems.

It really was worth it. Great performance. So much easier to use on the go. Especially with the Logitech keyboard.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
DigiTimes = random click bait.

They invent hundreds of things--along with some obvious common-sense statements--and a few predictions turn out true by sheer luck. Not many.

You may as well ask an 8-ball as take a DigiTimes "report" seriously.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
DigiTimes = random click bait.

They invent hundreds of things--along with some obvious common-sense statements--and a few predictions turn out true by sheer luck. Not many.

You may as well ask an 8-ball as take a DigiTimes "report" seriously.

Well, yeah.
Innuendo based on some experience in these things.
Of course they'll get some right and some wrong.

If it was all facts it wouldn't be called Rumors.

(If you really want some fun, dig around super old threads/posts here as MacRumors. Some amazingly correct predictions with some absolutely hilarious failings. It's the nature of the beast!)

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
A year ago I would have applauded apple(s suppliers) for being able to churn out so many iPhones and iPads to meet customer demand. But all the negative rumours and vitriol about apples gradual slide into irrelevance makes me fear (quite unfoundedly) that it's simply that the demand is so low, that supply has already been met.

I don't believe it, I'm sure demand is phenomenal, but it's an unfortunate knee jerk reaction that I'm sure will be raised in a few posts time ...

You are worried for no reason. Blather about market share losses mirror the sales of ten's of millions of low end Android phone and tablet devices, but, Apple still leads in the premium segment, sales are growing, and they are still making more than the only other profitable Android OEM, Samsung.

Apple still has a more desirable ecosystem for developers and users.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I got one and I love it. Its very easy to hold and use compared to the bigger Air. Depends on what you want!
I want an iPad Air quality screen in the iPad mini form factor. What else would I want? Why should have to chose one or the other? Than again, people bought the first generation iPad mini and thought that screen was okay. :rolleyes:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
But what about the people who bought many hoping to earn a lot of money around Christmas reselling them at a big markup ? How could Apple do this to them :D.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
I want an iPad Air quality screen in the iPad mini form factor. What else would I want? Why should have to chose one or the other? Than again, people bought the first generation iPad mini and thought that screen was okay. :rolleyes:

Why do I have the feeling that you actually haven't gone and SEEN the rMini's display in person, and are using articles and forum posts about color gamut in lieu of personal observation?

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
But what about the people who bought many hoping to earn a lot of money around Christmas reselling them at a big markup ? How could Apple do this to them :D.

Yes, exactly. We were counting on you Apple to provide shortages!!

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston

Not only desirable, but when it is not desired anymore then you will think twice or three times before making the move. Kind of... when you go Apple you never go back, even if you wanted to.

Me, i got the 5S but it was not really what i wanted, i wanted to move on. Then I saw all my music, movies, books, etc... and I got the 5S.

So yep... nothing to worry about.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I'm planning on picking up one for my birthday. Too bad Apple doesn't give you a discount for getting one year older.:D
Seriously, the price is slightly vexing, especially the silly way they tier the memory sizes. (same price increase to go from 16 to 32GB as it is to go from 64 to 128GB).
but hey, still much cheaper than a new laptop.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I got my 32gb white AT&T 3 days after it launched and love it. I'm glad I went with constantly checking the stores pick up option. Otherwise I'd still be waiting on my 12/4 delivery date. These things have been very elusive to say the least. To anyone who's still trying to get one before the holidays,I hope you do,it's a phenomenal device.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
The tiny minority of obsessives are missing out on a great product. I feel sorry for them. But there's no doubt these new Retina iPads are already a phenomenal success story for Apple.
And there's no doubt that a phenomenal success story for Apple does not equal a phenomenal success for users of Apple products, because not everyone is a stockholder. People not buying the iPad mini, most likely already have a better screen in form of an iPad 3, 4 or iPad Air. iPad mini owners are missing out on all the marvelous colors in these less than one year old devices. I feel sorry for them.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
You are worried for no reason. Blather about market share losses mirror the sales of ten's of millions of low end Android phone and tablet devices, but, Apple still leads in the premium segment, sales are growing, and they are still making more than the only other profitable Android OEM, Samsung.

I agree, I'm sure the demand is exceptional, and Apple is moving mountains to get these devices into as many hands as possible for the holidays, I'm deliberating one myself!

It's just funny how perception can be swayed so dramatically by the onslaught of 'analyst reports' and baseless rumours about low demands and yields for products. Especially after all this fear mongering about the 5C, which, if you'd believe an analyst - has barely sold a single unit.

In any case, it's great to see reports about how well the new mini is selling. I'd also love Apple to be bit more transparent and bullish about their sales numbers, but I know the likes of Sammy will push a few million more devices to retailers to bolster their sell-in numbers and fake a bigger total.

Apologies, I'm writing a negative post - complaining about negative posts! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.