Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZeptoLab has released Cut The Rope 2, the latest installment in the company's wildly popular franchise. Cut The Rope: Time Travel was released earlier this year, while Cut The Rope: Experiments came out in mid-2011. The original Cut The Rope won a 2011 Apple Design Award.

The new game follows the familiar theme set by the prior games, Om, the candy-loving creature, sees spiders trying to steal his candy, though there is a new cast of characters and gameplay elements. The game is $0.99, though there are in-app purchases, mostly focused on special power-ups and cosmetic changes. The game itself is fully unlocked with purchase.

Like most level-based puzzle games and its predecessor, Cut the Rope 2 starts off slow to give the player a chance to learn its most basic functions and controls as ropes are sliced in perfect time to toss the candy into Om Nom's infectious grin. Things like air cushions and balloons help keep the candy from falling off of a cliff and turning Om Non's adorable grin into an "awww" producing frown but a bunch new characters add a ton of creative new elements to an already creative game.

What appears to be hedgehogs crossed with aardvarks can spit out their tongues across a chasm creating a bridge to stop or roll the candy towards its final destination. Baby elephant looking creatures turn their long noses into springs to bounce Om Nom or the candy closer together and in the path of stars that can add to the game's longevity. These whimsical characters add a fun new dimension to what could have been an otherwise dull experience if the developers had just created new levels under the game's already brilliant design. They expand on a simple concept and give the puzzle creators more possibilities and challenges to throw in front of their players, which gives the players ample opportunities to replay it as they try to capture those elusive stars.
Cut The Rope 2 is available for $0.99 for the iPhone and iPad. [App Store]

Article Link: Cut The Rope 2 Swings Onto the iPhone and iPad

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The game is nice, though to get many of the clovers you need to buy upgrades. And you need the clovers for the secret levels. So the freemium element is there.

I'd rather pay $5 and have no freemium element.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The game is nice, though to get many of the clovers you need to buy upgrades. And you need the clovers for the secret levels. So the freemium element is there.

I've enjoyed the first chapter. Difficulty ramps up faster than previous games.

But these consumables for the chance to unlock levels is exceptionally lame. I managed perfect achievements in all the past Cut The Rope games. Love them. Day one purchase...

But to have to pay extra for consumables, which if you error and need to repeat, have to use more consumables, to get the clovers, to unlock levels for stars. Extreme desperation by Zeptolabs.

It'll be the last of their games for me.

lytgames

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Everybody complains about Freemium games but these are the ones making some money in the store. It really seems like that NOBODY buys non-freemium games..

As a game dev, I am now strongly considering moving to this model too. Being able to pay the rent from my games' revenue would be SO nice..

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Everybody complains about Freemium games but these are the ones making some money in the store. It really seems like that NOBODY buys non-freemium games..

As a game dev, I am now strongly considering moving to this model too. Being able to pay the rent from my games' revenue would be SO nice..

I'm just being honest here... Nobody's buying your games because they don't compete with the better ones you can buy at $0.99. Yours are free at the moment, but really, there's nothing that entices me to download them.

But you're not the only one.

I review a lot of the games that developers put out here in the promo section. Overall they have pretty good gameplay, but most of them look like something you'd get on one of those game CDs 15 years ago.

If anything, most indie developers need to work on their graphics and typography. Because it's those screenshots that really push people from buying your games.

Everyday someone who has skills in graphic design, animation, photography etc, is discovering Unity. And pretty soon a guy who only has a background in those things, is going to kick the real developers behinds.

And that's scary, especially as someone who can easy combine 3D with photography.

Don't give yourself into freemium though. Focus on the people who actually pay for games. It's more rewarding than getting 10,000 support requests a day will ever be.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Freemium here, freemium there. So many expensive power-ups. I don't mind paying for IAPs but don't obstruct the game heavily with it. Even each candies cost 0.99 while affect nothing but appearance. Decent game, as usual. But the level of greediness here is nauseating.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
My biggest complaint about the Cut the rope franchise is their lack of cloud saving. It blows my mind that the developers haven't implemented it in their games. I'm wondering if they finally did it with this release.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Matthewscott8

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014

this is not true, at least a couple of the clovers are available by normal gameplay. Additionally the app gives you free stuff every day you play, the balloons you get for free will get you the rest of the clovers. I have all the clovers and did not pay anything to get them. I did pay $1.99 to get a ninja turtle mask and cape because I liked the look, and had an enormous amount of goodwill to Zeptolab for their cheap and highly entertaining game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.