Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After the Evasi0n untethered jailbreak was updated for newer iPhones, iPads, and iOS 7.x earlier today, Cydia administrator Jay Freeman noted on his Twitter that he was not informed about a new version of the jailbreak before its release. Beyond that, he also reported that the new jailbreak automatically installs a third party app store named Taig which distributes cracked apps in China.

Following Freeman's comments, two tweets by developer i0n1c claims that the Chinese company Taig paid the Evad3rs development team "a big pile of money" to release the jailbreak in order to bundle its app store onto devices.

evasi0n_screen2.jpg
Now, the Evad3rs development team behind the jailbreak has posted an open letter to the jailbreak community on its website, trying to address the various concerns surrounding the method and emphasizing the safety and security of its users.

The team admitted that it was indeed approached by a company with an offer to include Taig with the jailbreak in China, feeling that it was "well-suited to meet the needs of users for the Chinese market." The team also notes that users are not locked into Taig, with the program giving users given the ability to uninstall the Chinese app store and install Cydia.

Also addressed was the speculation concerning the possible disclosure of exploits and methods to Taig:
Taig has never asked us to disclose our exploits to them, let alone sell them. We were simply asked to bundle their third-party app store in China in a similar way we bundle and distribute Cydia around the world as an additional App Store, and in a similar way to how previous jailbreaks like blackra1n have bundled non-Cydia stores.
Furthermore, the developers also claim that they were unaware that Taig contained pirated apps upon access, and say they are removing instances of piracy and that Taig had contractually agreed not to serve pirated apps. They say they "will continue to monitor this issue and work to resolve it completely" and that Taig will be removed if it can't be resolved.

Currently, Evasi0n is available for OS X and Windows as an untethered jailbreak.

Article Link: 'Evasi0n' iOS 7 Jailbreak Controversy Surrounding Piracy and Chinese Partnership

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
This is a big blow to jailbreakers images. Majority of them don't engage/are against piracy. Whoever allowed this app into the jailbreak in the first place should be ashamed.

Furthermore, whoever does engage in piracy are pretty awful if you ask me. People spend a lot of time and effort to make apps/movies/music etc. If you can't be bothered to compensate developers or artists for their work, you should suck it up and live without their work.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Lol. Beyond sketchy.

Happily using stock, secure Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5. You guys have entered the shady world that Android has always been accused of. Nope, all is well here. If you want features and flexibility, get a Nexus 5 / Moto X. Life is great on this side. Android is beautiful and has come such a long way.

Careful out there. It's a scary world.

Enjoy having your information sent to China. Sounds fun!

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
They potentially jeopardized the possibility of the jailbreak for the final release of 7.1 because they rushed for money. Well evaders I hope you're happy with your money but you've practically single-handedly destroyed whatever trust was left within the jailbreak community and probably helped Apple fix the exploit by 7.1GM. Not to mention all of the fishy stuff your jailbreak seems to be doing with contacting Chinese sites: (just peruse through the mess: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/).

Great work guys!

----------

Lol. Beyond sketchy.

Happily using stock, secure Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5. You guys have entered the shady world that Android has always been accused of. Nope, all is well here.

I'm an Android fan just as much as you are but you're not really making a point here at all. This isn't some official thing that happened to iOS; it's a hack that you specifically have to go out of your way to install. There's nothing insecure about that.

mrcarter2

macrumors member
May 26, 2013
Security Threat?

Until I get a clear cut statement from all parties, I'll reserve my judgement on the ethics of the situation. I'm honestly just worried about the reports that the jailbreak is sending encrypted code to China on devices that don't even have the Chinese app stores installed. Can anyone confirm this as true? I'm itching for the jailbreak but I've kept from installing it for that very reason

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I jailbroke my 5s earlier this evening but after I found out about all this I restored my phone back to stock iOS 7. It was foolish of them to sell out and ruin what was once a good thing. What I found really shocking was that they kept to themselves about everything. Saurik didn't even know about this and Cydia isn't even updated for iOS 7. Nor are the majority of the tweaks.

As I was going through my list of installed tweaks from previous iOS jailbreaks, I noticed that almost all of them were brought as features in iOS 7. The only thing I installed after jailbreaking today was MyWi, which I will happily live without until this situation gets sorted out. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the way this was all handled.

Lol. Beyond sketchy.

Happily using stock, secure Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5. You guys have entered the shady world that Android has always been accused of. Nope, all is well here. If you want features and flexibility, get a Nexus 5 / Moto X. Life is great on this side. Android is beautiful and has come such a long way.

Enjoy having your information sent to China. Sounds fun!

You're taking an incident that has occurred ONE time over the many years jailbreaking has existed and generalizing it as one big reason to ditch the entire OS. That's like saying you bit into an apple and found it was rotten, therefore you should only eat pears from that point forward.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I'm an Android fan just as much as you are but you're not really making a point here at all. This isn't some official thing that happened to iOS; it's a hack that you specifically have to go out of your way to install. There's nothing insecure about that.

I understand. But the entire purpose of jailbreaking is for flexibility.

Which is already present in Android. Why go through all the hoops? I'll show myself out because this will get out of hand.

waronxmas

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
And this is why I do not **** with jailbreaking my iOS devices. I am also sure the only thing that was installed was a Chinese app store. /sarcasm

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

Not really. Android has come a long way in terms of Android, but it's nowhere near as beautiful and solid as iOS. Fact is that iOS is faster, more efficient and way more stable and secure. I'm not sure why flexibility is so desirable that you'd give up all those things.

BTW, I've owned Android phones. I'm not some Apple die-hard doing a knee-jerk defense here. You can go on and on all day long about how much more flexible Android is than iOS but at the end of the day, all that flexibility piled on top of an unstable, unpredictable OS that is more often than not difficult to deal with and near-impossible to update is meaningless.

And a lot of what Android fans brag about in terms of flexibility is really more about shoehorning Android into a desktop OS mold. I'd rather sacrifice some flexibility and instead have a world-class mobile OS that excels at what it does, while remaining secure and stable and effortless to update.

longterm

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
I'm sure it's no coincidence that this jailbreak was released on the same day that an Apple deal with China was announced. These guys saw a golden opportunity to make a lot of money, the Chinese needed a way to sell phones and allow users to steal software...

Tomorrow morning first thing I'm going to restore my iPhone 5s; no jailbreak for me.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Pretty much they released the jailbreak because a chinese malware/piracy company paid them money.

This is actually a sad day because a widely known developer sold out for money instead of truly helping the cause.
I would have respected them more if they would have charged you upfront for the jailbreak instead of teaming up with the Chinese. These people obviously want to hurt Apple with their own store/piracy right out the box with this exploit. And no telling what type of info they have their hands on once you load up this crap on your phone.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Lol they contractually agreed with a piracy app to not have piracy..... Riggggght.

filfortugno

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
There is no bundled Software

I jailbroke this morning and there is no trace of this program. I'm not sure where this is coming from but I definitely have no trace of it, despite scouring, through ssh, through my 4S.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I'm sure it's no coincidence that this jailbreak was released on the same day that an Apple deal with China was announced. These guys saw a golden opportunity to make a lot of money, the Chinese needed a way to sell phones and allow users to steal software...

Tomorrow morning first thing I'm going to restore my iPhone 5s; no jailbreak for me.

Ding ding ding

https://mobile.twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/414900683645538305?screen_name=MuscleNerd

I wonder if evaders even got paid or if they were straight up duped by this Chinese company.

I believe they had more benevolent intentions and wanted taig to be the Chinese equivalent of Cydia.

From what I understand the Chinese don't respect much of anything, much less a contract with some hackers , I bet they burned em and now evaders has flipped the kill switch.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They potentially jeopardized the possibility of the jailbreak for the final release of 7.1 because they rushed for money. Well evaders I hope you're happy with your money but you've practically single-handedly destroyed whatever trust was left within the jailbreak community and probably helped Apple fix the exploit by 7.1GM. Not to mention all of the fishy stuff your jailbreak seems to be doing with contacting Chinese sites: (just peruse through the mess: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/).

Oh please. iOS will always be exploitable, just like every other OS. Give someone with the know how the incentive to find it (IE, a sack of $1M sounds pretty good), and they'll do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.