Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NimbleBit, the developer behind freemium hits like Pocket Trains, Tiny Tower, and Pocket Planes, has teamed up with Milkbag Games' Matt Rix, creator of Trainyard and Owen Goss, who did Landformer and Finger Tied, for an all new animal-based game called Disco Zoo.

Through casual puzzle gameplay, rescue animals from around the world to live in your very special Disco Zoo. Earn coins from your exhibits and keep the party going for both visitors and animals with disco dancing!
According to our sister site TouchArcade, the game will offer free-to-play mechanics like other NimbleBit games and as can be seen in the trailer above, it also features a similar pixelated art style.

While a specific release date has not been made available, NimbleBit says it is coming to the App Store soon.

Article Link: NimbleBit and Milkbag Games to Team Up for New 'Disco Zoo' Game

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've been following one of Disco Zoo's creators on Twitter for the past four years. He developed the framework on which several iOS games have been built and also created my favorite puzzle game, Train Yard. It was cool to see little spoilers and complaints about this game's development and then read an article about it on MR!

LOL, what the ... ?

I don't see the point in this game either. I think it's going to be fun for a minute, then boring for the rest.

Yeah, after watching the 20 second ad, I feel that I know enough about this game to determine its playability as well. :p

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
That looks ridiculous, and bad. This warrants a story? Really?

To be fair, they did put this on the reject pile that is the iOS blog.

Wow guys. NimbleBit have put out some great stuff, and the trailer shows nothing about the gameplay mechanic--it's just a vague tease to get their fans excited. From their history of games I see no reason not to look forward to it if you've enjoyed their past work.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow guys. NimbleBit have put out some great stuff, and the trailer shows nothing about the gameplay mechanic--it's just a vague tease to get their fans excited. From their history of games I see no reason not to look forward to it if you've enjoyed their past work.
We can only judge them based on what they've shown us, and in my opinion what they have shown is embarrassingly bad (but I respect your opinion if you think it's great). I'm also not giving them credit for past games. Companies that have made great games in the past will produce bad games in the future, it does happen. Plus, who knows exactly who is involved with this mashup?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
We can only judge them based on what they've shown us, and in my opinion what they have shown is embarrassingly bad (but I respect your opinion if you think it's great). I'm also not giving them credit for past games. Companies that have made great games in the past will produce bad games in the future, it does happen. Plus, who knows exactly who is involved with this mashup?

I only just now saw this. But the timing is good as I've been playing Disco Zoo for a few days. Having enjoyed Tiny Tower (and having spent $0 on IAP in Tiny Tower) I can tell you that I spent $3 for a one-time IAP upgrade in Disco Zoo and have been enjoying it quite a lot. It's not rocket science but it's a good diversion for a few seconds or minutes now and then.

I'm aware that many people are upset about the popularity of the freemium model. All I can say is that some games are worse than others and I think NimbleBit know how to balance their games so they can make a profit and yet not nickel-and-dime their players. I'm still a fan and will download their next release on day one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.