16GB 5G iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ezekielrage_99, May 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

2. siurpeeman, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

macrumors 603

siurpeeman

back front, silver back (no color options), no rear camera. i still think the 32 gb is a better buy. for those on a serious budget, i'd look for used options out there.

or, for $20 more, buy refurbished.

3. AboutThisMac, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

macrumors member

I remember Kuo said this would happen, never believed him :p

4. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think he predicted a cheaper ipad mini, not an iPod touch.

5. macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors regular

Now well that model with 32GB and you've got a sale! I don't want the silly camera, loop etc.

I just want an iPod touch to play music and occasionally use an app. I generally only buy iPod Touch's because they allow me to wifi sync.

8. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Interesting timing . . .

I wonder if it could be that iOS 7 won't support the 4th generation iPod and they don't want to announce an OS that won't run on hardware currently being sold as new.

9. macrumors 603

cambookpro

I thought that as well - sounds a fairly likely explanation.

10. macrumors 6502a

what the hell, they can still add the camera with that price.

11. macrumors 601

Icaras

I find it funny that it's taking this long for Mac Rumors to report this on the front page.

12. macrumors 603

rgarjr

Black face/silver back is indeed interesting. But yeah it's weird they stripped away the rear cam.

13. macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

So, this means that all the iPod touch models now have a 4" screen, which is good.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the iPhone. Will Apple continue to offer the iPhone 4 and 4S, or will they be replaced by this rumoured "low-cost" model with a 4" screen and similar internals to the iPod touch 5G?

14. macrumors 6502

I agree

15. macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Interesting how the mic is at the top of the iPod, where most of the cases will be blocking it...

[​IMG]

16. macrumors newbie

similar to ipad mic placement

17. thread starter macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

After seeing no rear camera or colour option the 32GB touch is far more compelling, though I do have the feeling we'll see a 6G iPod Touch this year and if so I'll be grabbing a 64GB or 128GB model :cool:

18. macrumors member

This is weak from Apple - an inexpensive 16GB iPod Touch would have filled a really big need for kids (and their parents), but taking out the camera makes it pretty lame in my opinion.

Really don't understand what's going on at Apple these days...

19. macrumors newbie

They just released it today may 30. It's like the 5g but like someone said it has no back camera and is in black with a silver color on the back. It also has a front camera. $225 or something ( USD)

20. macrumors 6502a

come to think of it.

Touch 5 16G are for those already have smartphone with good built in camera. Those who wants to play game but unwilling to pay iphone 5 price or ipod touch 5 price. Those who feel that they dont need another camera might settle for a less expensive version.

I doubt apple aim this one for parents to buy for their kids because kids nowaday love camera. Judging from the color option, it is more for young adult or even people already working.

21. macrumors regular

If the 4g iPod has a camera why doesn't this have it this is lame

22. macrumors 6502a

4g camera is useless, 0.7mp is as equal as no camera. It perform poorly in low light. Only good thing is that it can capture 720 video which still not very good. 5g low cost have front 1.2mp capture 720 video as well. I think this is made mainly for video call or for couples to take cute pic without having to ask someone else to take it for them.

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

The bottom line is that Apple has de-contented the device to maintain profit margins and frankly I think they've really limited the market for it as a result.
    It's not a gaming machine or media playback device as it is only 16GB.
    It's not for kids because kids love to take pictures and shoot video, and not just of themselves.
    It's not for people who already own a smartphone, because those people likely have all the iPod touch functionality on their smartphone.
    Who is it for again? Couples? The blind? Really?

25. macrumors regular

Why would anyone buy an iPod for the camera (primarily). I'm sure world-wide the percentage of people who do so is tiny!

For me 16GB is only aimed at those light users who don't have a big library, or only want to put a fraction there for the gym/walks etc.

I'd love this new iPod in a 32GB or 64GB (as long as it keeps up internal wise) and I don't need cameras. I've got an iPhone 5 to do all that but I don't want my music on there wasting battery or space on the phone. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one either!