Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Hi Guys
Friend has a MBA, has been using a San disc 16GB for images
Deleted all files on the above flash drive but its still saying its full?
Is the 16GB flash flash drive corrupt? Or some other reason?

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
You have probably already done this but just in case; have you emptied the trash after deleting the images?

Scotty45

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
Hi guys. I'm the one who Gary was enquiring for.
There seems to be a difference between deleting files, as opposed to erasing files. After I had deleted the files from the flash drive, the drive info stated that the drive was still full. I have since gone through the process of erasing the info on the flash drive, even though no files could be seen. It now shows as empty. Problem solved, & another lesson learned.
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.......Scotty.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi guys. I'm the one who Gary was enquiring for.
There seems to be a difference between deleting files, as opposed to erasing files. After I had deleted the files from the flash drive, the drive info stated that the drive was still full. I have since gone through the process of erasing the info on the flash drive, even though no files could be seen. It now shows as empty. Problem solved, & another lesson learned.
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.......Scotty.
Just to clarify a bit... there is a hidden trash folder on external drives like this, so when you delete a file it just gets moved to the trash and still uses the disk space. You need to empty the trash and then the space will be freed up. There is no need to reformat (erase) the drive.

Scotty45

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
Just to clarify a bit... there is a hidden trash folder on external drives like this, so when you delete a file it just gets moved to the trash and still uses the disk space. You need to empty the trash and then the space will be freed up. There is no need to reformat (erase) the drive.

Ok, thanks for that info. But if the trash folder is hidden, then how do I find it?.......Scotty.

Scotty45

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
Got it, thanks. I did empty my trash, but it was after i'd removed the flash drive from the computer. Which explains why the flash drive retained the files. I'll know next time. Thanks again.....Scotty.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.