16MM Film to DVD????

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bonesone4, Jan 28, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Anyone know how or where a good place would be to go to get some 16MM film transferred over to a DVD? A friend of mine has some old football games of his father in law playing at Indiana that he would like to have put onto DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bones

2. macrumors 6502

Lunja

3. macrumors 68000

darthraige

My bro and I had recently had that done at CVS. Yes, CVS. lol They send it out from the Photo Lab and clean the film and transfer it to DVD, with chapters and stuff... I mean, it's the easy way out and all, unless you rent a projector and shoot it with a camera. Also, my bro worked at CVS and got a mad discount. But it's an option.

4. Guest

ppc_michael

CVS really develops 16mm? How do they charge you?

5. Guest

shecky

http://www.cinelab.com/

i have used them myself, they did a telecine to a DV tape that i then imported to FCP, etc. they will also go right to DVD.

they are very good, and know exactly what they are doing.

6. macrumors regular

sk8ordie

You can also do this yourself, if you have the time.

Play the 16mm and project it against a clean white wall in the dark. While its playing, video tape it with a good quality miniDV camcorder. Me and my friend did this with old 8mm footage and my Sony vx2000. Then we uploaded the miniDV into FCP and added it into our movie, burned it to DVD and the footage came out great!

Good Luck.

7. macrumors 68030

hit the local yellow pages for video production/transfers.

there should be local places offering quality service.

I run a video transfer business and while the following decision may limit my sales, I cringe when ppl send tapes to me. sure, you can buy insurance, but if those tapes/reels go missing, they are gone.

btw, have someone professional do it. do not put it against a white sheet. you probably won't
    be too pleased with the results and unless you've had alot of experience handling film, why take the chance of wrecking it by accident. let the pros do their job.

good luck,
    Keebler

8. macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I did this too with 8mm. I changed the speed of the project (slower) so that I didn't get pulsing/strobing effect. I then changed the speed in FCE.
    Low cost solution that worked pretty well.