16x disc in an 8x burner

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Drizzt, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Drizzt macrumors member

Feb 18, 2006
    Just to check, is it all right to burn a 16x DVD-R on an 8x DVD±R DL SuperDrive? Are there any compatibility issues? I have the Rev. A Intel Mac Mini with the aforementioned SuperDrive.
  2. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    should do yeah, the speed rating just equates to the ease at which a laser can turn a 1 to a 0, when burnt at 8x the disk is just more reliable, it'll work perfectly fine, but tbh 8x disks are cheaper, do you just have a stack that needs useing or are you in the market?
  3. Drizzt thread starter macrumors member

Feb 18, 2006
    i'm looking to but a 50-pack spindle from B+H soon. I think I'll buy the cheapest ones. Does the brand name really*matter?

Thanks a lot for your help.
  4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Not really. Every brand just looks for someone to make the cheapest disc that is reliable and they stick their name ontop of it.
  5. FragTek macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I've used numerous no name brand CD's and DVD's. All of which seem to work the same. I have yet to find one brand that's more unreliable than another.
  6. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Not true. I've had some crap one. GQ from Fry's comes to mind. Macs seem to be pickier about them too, although I had a laptop (Dell from work, ugh) that would barely write to anything. Might be more about those thinner drives used by laptops, iMacs, minis, etc. B&H have an 8x 50 pack of Verbatim for $20. Should work fine. Newegg and Buy.com have some cheaper ones that might work too. Memorex, Imation, and Ridata are ok from what I can tell.
  7. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    Or maybe not...

I have a Lacie External Firewire 8x DVD burner that has always worked just fine. When I bought it I bought a whole load of TDK 8x DVD-R's and CD-R's at Costco and I've only now depleted them. So I just bought two spindles of 50 DVD-R's -- one 16x Memorex and one 16x Maxell. And guess what, neither one of them would work at all! I kept getting "Communication Error" messages, from Toast 7, Toast 6, and even Apple's Disk Utility. Lacie suggested I update my burner's firmware, which I did, and now the Memorex will burn okay -- but still not the Maxell. So I'm returning the Maxell spindle.

Interestingly, Lacie only "officially" supports three brands -- TDK, Sony, and Verbatim. They could not guarantee any others would work.
  8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2005
    Funny, those are the only brands I use...
    I got a Sony 50 pack of 16x from Best Buy for $14. You just gotta watch for the sale!
  9. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2006
    i try to use name brand just cause they are so cheap now, but never had a problem with generics either.