Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hmm... I hope this is the right area to post this. And I couldn't find any similar threads, so if you know of any, please disregard this and point me in their direction!

I just bought some 16x DVD-R media to use on my 8x burner, but when I go to burn, Toast pops up and says the media is incompatible. After 5 hours of encoding, that's quite a frustrating sight, lemme tell ya.

The media is Memorex 16x DVD-R discs, the drive is a NEC ND-2510A enabled through PatchBurn and attached by an ext. firewire enclosure. I've burned dozens of things before with 8x media, and never had a problem. Is there a way to make it burn to the 16x's?

Thanks!

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
I use an old Pioneer 2X DVD burner with 16X DVD blanks. I haven't encountered a problem.

Maybe the Media is not compatible at all with your drive (hence Memorex) first thing I would suggest is get a different Media brand or you could also go back to the 8X DVD blanks. I believe those are hard to find now days! I only use TDK DVD-R's in my burner.*

*There is a disclaimer that states:

For use in DVD-R/RW drives/recorders that support 1-16X DVD-R discs. Using this media in some low speed drives/recorders may result in product failure and damage to the hardware and media.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yeah, the disks had a warning about how they'll run at slower speeds on slower drives, and I'd used 16x Maxell DVD-R's before with no problem, so I figured these'd be ok. Apparently not. I updated the firmware with the newest version of Patchburn just now, and still nothing. So... anyone want 50 16x Memorex DVD-R's?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
livingfortoday
Yeah, the disks had a warning about how they'll run at slower speeds on slower drives, and I'd used 16x Maxell DVD-R's before with no problem, so I figured these'd be ok. Apparently not. I updated the firmware with the newest version of Patchburn just now, and still nothing. So... anyone want 50 16x Memorex DVD-R's?

If you can return them I'd try that, maybe even just for credit or other dvds if they let you. I use TDK or Verbatium only as I've had way too many problems with Memorex discs in the past.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Artful Dodger said:
If you can return them I'd try that, maybe even just for credit or other dvds if they let you. I use TDK or Verbatium only as I've had way too many problems with Memorex discs in the past.

Yeah, it's too late to return them, I got them months ago, and have since thrown away the reciept. You know how it is, I have a ton of DVD-R's at home, but Office Depot slaps a "clearance" tag on a rack and I go nuts. I guess I'll just have to go back there and see if they have any more on sale, which they always seem to.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Have you tried changing the settings on Toast? You might have Toast set at "Best". Try setting the speed to 8X or 4X, then load the media. (Can't guarantee it will work, but its worth trying.)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
numediaman said:
Have you tried changing the settings on Toast? You might have Toast set at "Best". Try setting the speed to 8X or 4X, then load the media. (Can't guarantee it will work, but its worth trying.)

Yeah, I tried everything down to 1x, and nothing worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.