Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So i have a video in HD (1920x1080) and I need to burn it to a DVD. I don't want it to be 4x3. I want to be 16x9. How do I do this in DVD studio pro. Everytime I burn a disk it comes out 4x3.....

Nov 28, 2010
located
What have you set in DVD Studio Pro > Preferences >> General >>> SD DVD Menus, Tracks, and Slideshows >>>> Display Mode:?
And have you also taken a look at the Menu or Track and opened the Inspector (Option+Command+I) and looked under Menu (for the Menu) or General (for a track) >> Display Mode?

addedit

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I've been having the same question today and it is apparently not as simple as described. Partially because when you set the display mode to 16x9 the simulator opens the window up to 16x9 but leaves the video squeezed to 4x3.

There should be a way to make a reference QuickTime from a 16x9 1920x1080 cut and then make an SD DVD that will play either 16x9 full screen or 4x3 with a letterbox, but it is not the least bit clear how to achieve that in the menus.

I just made a test DVD and setting the display modes to 16x9 made no difference in the outcome.

Addedit

Last edited:

addedit

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I just made a test DVD and setting the display modes to 16x9 made no difference in the outcome.

Addedit

Unlike many applications, DVD SP does not apply changes to a project when you change the settings and hit "apply". I am not positive yet, but it looks like once you start a project with 4x3 settings you cannot change them to any effect, even though it looks as though you can. I made a totally new project after changing the settings and applying them and the new project looks like it is going to be 16x9 SD. I am encoding it now.

Addedit

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
You'll want to create a DVD with anamorphic video. I believe Apple Compressor has 16:9 MPEG-2 presets to do that for you, if you're comfortable with Compressor. You'll get better results for the same bitrate, and it will behave properly with widescreen TVs.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
No, no, and no. Go to Preferences–>Encoding and change your aspect ratio to 16:9. That's it. Make sure it's for MPEG-2 SD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.