$17 000 apology!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, Jan 26, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

He must have done something really bad to feel motivated to apologize so extravagantly. I wouldn't be surprised if he cheated on and/or beat his wife.

2. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    maybe he left he seat up one too many times

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Because half of that was her money she would have received after the divorce.....

That's a bit much if you ask me. Especially using such a public manner to ask for forgiveness.

I hope they work it out.

D

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Too bad that he has yet to realize that $$$ and health of relationship are not really linked. Sounds like the type of guy who has tried to buy or 'gift' himself out of trouble before. Maybe she's a little sick of his cash generosity and would like to see something a little more sincere.

On the other side of the coin, the newspaper ad can hardly be seen as a make up gift since she doesn't get to keep it . . . but it still looks like he's trying to win her back with $$$.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, if she actually went to the trouble of changing her mobile number and such, he probably cheated on her or hit her. Otherwise, why so dramatic?

And I hate the last bit of the article, where the guy says, "We're pulling for him." Why? What if he has been a shyte husband? Nobody even knows the reasons behind her leaving, and yet they're willing to back him up because of an advert. They back him up? Are people that easy to manipulate?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What a waste of money. And if she doesn't take him back, she'll be the baddie in the eyes of those who read the paper - heartless woman! :eek:

The most common reasons for relationships breaking up is a lack of communication - whether than leads to adultery, physical aggression or just people starting to live their own lives.

That $17,000 would have better spent trying to court his wife again by spending time together (on vacation/out for dinner/babysitting kids), learning how the other has changed and figuring out whether the relationship could recover.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

well... he prolly cheated on her, or something... must have been bad.

but look at it this way- think of all the girls that are going to LOVE him for doing this- thinking he's a changed man, so sweet, etc. he ought to milk this for all its worth if things dont work out with the wife. its like a $17k personel ad. :p

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

But how many of them will put up with his sh** for 17 years? I think that's why he wants the wife back.

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Still pales next to Kobe's $4,000,000 apology to his wife...

11. jasylonian macrumors regular

That $17,000 would have been better spent on a lawyer. If that was all it took to get a woman back, I would have done it by now. Yeesh... when did I get so jaded?

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Public expression of love seem to becoming much more common today. Spending $17,000 seems to be going overboard. I hope that she will respond. As long as the apology is sincere then she should forgive him. Then both should seek marriage counseling.

13. neut macrumors 68000

neut

seems like this guy missed the point ... any girl that takes you back because you spent $17,000 on a public romance stunt isn't thinking straight.

yeah, she's probably crying cause he's spending her half of the money. :p

relationships should not be a public matter.

peace.

14. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    he should have gotten her 17 000 worth of apple products :D

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

In point of fact, money is a casual factor in marriage. My father is an attorney (civil), and a significant portion of his cases are domestic. Of the roughly 50% of marriages that fail, 70% of those list money problems as the primary factor.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This isn't in the apology mode, but a public romantic gesture. It would seem that surprising the lady often works. He should have found a cheaper public gesture. Here are some suggestions.

http://www.romancestuck.com/wedding/proposals/somewherespecial.htm

17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Or... she cheated on him, found someone new and doesn't want anything to do with him and he's just desperate, not realizing it's time to let go.

Waste of money...

18. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Point taken. However, in this case, the lack of money or how money is spent/managed is not the issue.

The issue that I was trying to point out was that this guy apparently believes that the value of his apology is related to how much he paid for it.

19. neut macrumors 68000

neut

When i asked my ex if she would take me back if i did that for here she said:

:D

peace.

20. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

LOL:D

Anyway, it's about the gesture, an unblushing, public apology. It's not about him wanting to get her back by showing his $$$. And it's a nice gesture. Would she had lived in a small town, an add in a small local newspaper would have cost him a tenth, but the gesture would have been the same.

21. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

A nicer gesture would have been to donate it to a charity in her name.

Airing his dirty laundry to the public? Why? To publicly pressure her? To let the world know he's flogging himself? Classless and impersonal...

Maybe he just should have bought a billboard by the freeway... Maybe put it on the side of the Goodyear blimp. Maybe a banner on a beach plane.. (I'm being facetious)

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Granted, I don't know this fellow or anything, so I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he is trying to buy her back. If he were, jewelry is a much easier option, and $20,000 there goes a long way. What if he had paid for his apology to be skywritten, or put up on a billboard, or something else out of the ordinary? Would that be any different? And all that aside, if he has $17,000 to spend on this then either 1) he's got enough for it not to make a difference or 2) you could argue that since he's poor and went to those lengths anyway, the desired effect would be multiplied.

There's a girl I know, in fact have known for some time. I'd love to be involved with her, and if I thought that taking out a newspaper ad would be the way into her heart for which I've been searching, I'd jump on it. I also wouldn't care what it cost.