17" 1Ghz imac (my dream system)

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by phantommaul, Feb 14, 2002.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

Jan 8, 2002
    hi i will be able to buy an iMac by the end of this year and if there will be any chance apple will make an 1Ghz 17" revision do you think it would be possible or not please send your opinions (17" seems pretty hard because the Monitor will be more heavy and the bar wont be able to lift it)
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002

its not going to happen, at least nto until after the G5's are out, LCD prices come down, and apple moves up the size of their pro LCD line. If such a beast existed, why would anyone spend thousands more on a powermac just to get expandability. expandability is nice, but its not wirth that much money.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 17" iMac came out eventually (say 2 years). I actually think it would help make the base look more in proportion to the monitor.
  3. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2002
    that would probably detract some of those that want to buy a tower system + a 17" lcd. the only major difference would be speed and easy upgrades

the 15" was small, but actually larger than i thought it would be when i actually saw it.
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: 17" 1Ghz imac (my dream system)

first things first...have you seen the new imac?

the bar is really heavy duty and the pictures i have seen do it no justice...you have to actually see the bar...and also the body of the computer is quite heavy so it won't tip over

a 17" inch screen with a 1ghz imac would be very professional and meet almost anybody's needs
  5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I think if Apple was to market a 1 GHz iMac with a 17" monitor it might actually be an entry-level Powermac. I think iMac will stay focused on the consumers. I think we could see a small speed bump, especially if all the G4 Powermacs move above 1GHz by fall...but at the most maybe a bump to 933MHz on the top of the line where the entry level gets the previous 800 MHz G4 but I think the screen will stay at 15" for some time to come. Remember all the rumors about a 17" CRT iMac over the years???
  6. sjs macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    17" would be my dream system too. If the price could get to a pint where the Superdrive model is $1999 I would go for that.
  7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I would love to see that. But it won't be for a long time.
  8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Re: 17" 1Ghz imac (my dream system)

Thats your dream system?

Due 2.8ghz Powermac with 28" Flat Screen

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    my dream system...

a 17" iMac isnt going to come out until at least 2004 if at all. I doubt it will ever happen. if sales are good, which they are, theres no reason to make a change like that.

My dream computer would be a dual 2.5Ghz w/ 3GB RAM 2 Cinema displays, a new apple (pro) optical mouse which has 3 buttons, 2 120GB SCSI HD's 15000 rpms and a 500mhz bus.

Too bad thats not gonna happen any time soon. Im just hoping for DDR and a faster bus. If they put that in the 1ghz I'd order one tonight