17" 1ghz Rev. A SuperDrive Firmware Upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kmarketing, Apr 7, 2004.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

Of course being the mac newbie, I am picking up so much new and exciting info from everyone here. So please don't bash me, because this may be an old topic, I just did a searched and did not find that much recent information:

I've been reading up on Cynikal's Superdrive Firmware Upgrade (thanks Cynikal, by the way) that doubles the burn speed: 16x CDR, 2x DVD, and adds DVDRW. This sound like a must-have!!

I was wondering how many of you 17" 1ghz owners have or had this upgrade.

My questions are:
    Were there any problems associated with the upgrade?

Any issues with heat? (If there is, could I just lower the burn speeds to the original settings, would that eliminate any potential heat issues?)

A major concern is the warranty (apple care) that I have. I think without the downgrade path, this would be a huge issue, but since there is a downgrade path, I feel a little more secure.
    Has anyone had warranty issues with it? Do you just downgrade before you send it in, and then there shouldn't be an issue? Does the downgrade work properly?

I apologize for the questions and concerns. This would be an invaluable upgrade to have, but since I'm still learning I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks so much!!

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I had no problems with my 17"RevA for the past year. I just bought the AppleCare 2 year extension so I am very reluctant to screw with the firmware.

I find that if I'm going to burn a DVD, I have the time to let it sit and do its thing. While faster would be nicer, I'm never truly in THAT much of a rush. If the firmware upgrade worked 100% of the time, I might do it, but I've heard horror stories that make my stomach churn. :confused:

3. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Could you be more specific about some of the issues with this upgrade?

Besides the double burning speed, it also allows for DVD-RW, SACD playback, and region free dvd playback. Those are pretty good features to have.

But like you said, if there are horror stories and such, I'm not sure if I want to ruin a perfect machine.

Thanks!!

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

the horror stories involve the firmwave not working - and the drive being rendered permanently dead. Apple sure as heck won't fix it. It voids any applecare warranty.

I have the Rev A Powerbook and I write DVD-RWs all the time. I don't know why you can't burn them...

5. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

a nice 8X DVD burner on FW800 will be much faster, won't void your warranty, and you won't have to screw around with the fireware or anything else