17" Bubble monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brap, May 28, 2004.

1. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004

I'm in the market for a new (or not so new) monitor for dual display use with my Powerbook, and I [really really really] want one of the Apple studio 17" CRT 'bubble' monitors, discussed in this thread.

I realise the usual DVI-ADC connector route won't work, but surely someone must have modded it slightly, after all, it's far better looking than the Apple TFTs. I've just not had any experience with ADC monitors, so advice is appreciated; I'm not averse to spending a little and then playing with a soldering iron...
  2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    Hi, I am extremely pissed at Apple for making this monitor the way they did. I have one, and am forced to sell it because I bought a powerbook. It will IN NO WAY work with anything other than a tower. There is NO adapter that will EVER make it work with a powerbook. I tried everyone, and even got passed up the ladder at tech support because the low end techs couldn't answer the question with confidence. The problem is, the monitor uses an ANALOG signal. Yup. Not a digital signal. Even though it's ADC. All Apple could do was apologize.

p.s. Dr. Bott couldn't even make it work. It is a GREAT monitor though.

However, who knows what you can do with a good pair of pliars and a soldering gun- go for it! :D
  3. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004

So, therefore, the first step would probably be to get a DVI-Analogue connector out from the PB, and whack up an intermediary cable from parts. I can't seem to find anywhere with the pin assignment for the older style ADC connections -- neither the G4 cube manual, or the 17" CRT manual have it listed, any help there would be appreciated.

Sadly though, I can't imagine it being as simple as remapping the regular VGA wires and adding a line.. somehow that doesn't sound so likely! -- anyone else have any experience with this?
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It doesn't seem like it would be much harder than this...now just gotta find a pinout for the ADC that comes out of the bubble. But i didn't see one with some quick searching. :(

But anyway, an analog signal is an analog signal, so depending on whether its composite, chroma/luminance, or three color, there should be a fairly straightforward way to adapt it to at least one of S-Video or component video or VGA.

A lot of video game consoles used these complicated multi-connectors (esp. Nintendo) that had component, composite, etc all in one cable, and diifferent endforms with different wiring to go to different kinds of monitors....