Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehowett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
UK
Well that lasted long! Got my 17" C2D yesterday after waiting nearly a month for it and it's just died after I spent nearly all day setting it up.

Here's the problem:

When the battery is installed and you press the power button, it comes on for a split second and then dies. If you remove the battery it starts fine but produces errors in the standard and extended hardware test. The error code is:

"4SNS/1/40000000: TBOT"

Will be phoning Apple tomorrow to get a replacement.:mad:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Sounds like a bad battery. Just get that replaced. If you have a store nearby, just take it there.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That error is pretty general an people have been finding it shows up when the battery is not fully charged so even though you're having issues, they may not necessarily be related to the error code. Nevertheless, have you tried re-seating your battery (take it out and put it back in again)? Have you tried calibrating it? Have you tried resetting the SMC/PMU? It probably is a bad battery, but try this stuff first because otherwise Apple will just tell you to do it anyway. :)

mikehowett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
UK
Phoned Apple this morning and they say it's a problem with the logic board and they're sending me a replacement MBP:( :)

mikehowett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
UK
replacement MBP died

I simply don't believe my luck! My replacement MBP has just died exactly 1 month after I received it.

This time it looks like some thing to do with the GFX.

photo0003sy5.jpg

I get the same pattern on the screen when it boots up but once the grey apple disappears the screen just goes blue and stays like it with the sleep light on:(

Not sure if the HDD is still ok, gonna try target disk mode once the test is finished.

Just waiting on the result of the extended hardware test now.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
not to make light of your angst, but have you tried moving your rare earth magnet collection off your desk and storing it elsewhere?

Seriously, did you get it to come up in target firewire mode? If so, can you connect an external monitor and see what the video on that looks like?

mikehowett

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
UK
not to make light of your angst, but have you tried moving your rare earth magnet collection off your desk and storing it elsewhere?

Seriously, did you get it to come up in target firewire mode? If so, can you connect an external monitor and see what the video on that looks like?

Yep, booted the partition on my iMac and it was fine so it must be a hardware problem with the MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.