17" CD MBP or 15" C2D MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Benjamin Black, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Benjamin Black macrumors member

As of 3 minutes ago, I was sold on purchasing a refurbished 15" Core 2 Duo MBP from the Apple store for $1600 (+ tax)...but then I just found a 17" Core Duo on CL for $1600! Which computer would you buy? 17" sounds nice, but it has the older Core Duo processor. Will I regret not getting the newer technology?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Do you need portability? If yes, buy the 15" MacBook Pro. The 17" MacBook Pro is much more of a desktop replacement.

3. Benjamin Black thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm selling my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo right now on eBay in order to fund the laptop purchase, so yes I do need some mobility. But it would only be occasionally, not an everyday thing. So with that in mind, what would you suggest?

From what I've read the Core 2 Duo added better than usual performance upgrade over the usual bumps. Plus it will support the 64bit Leopard better, right? I just dunno. $1600 for a 17" really sounds like a good deal.

Help!

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Get the 15" MacBook Pro because it has better features for the future and you could always get a external display if you need more screen estate.
    The 15" C2D MacBook Pro is 64-bit while the 17" CD MacBook Pro is 32-bit.
    Leopard will take advantage with 64-bit. To me $1600 for a 17" MacBook Pro sounds too cheap and might be something fishy.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I love my 17" C2D. Don't mind the size for lugging around (not that i do that a lot).

BUT, i'd go for the 15" C2D refurb. Full 1 yr warranty, 64-bit, and runs cooler!

6. Benjamin Black thread starter macrumors member

OK...15" Core 2 Duo it is. Thanks for your advice. This is what I've been planning all along, just got blinded by the larger screen I guess.

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Go with the sure thing from Apple in the 15 in MBP. You can always add a monitor to the 15 at home. For portability you are better off with the 15. If you don't need portability you may not need a laptop. If not then go with a cheap iMac.

8. cmccarten macrumors member

Not to mention that buying used laptops for low prices from anonymous people is always sketchy. There will be no manager to summon if your 17" mbp is suddenly on the fritz.