17" CRT Apple display with Powerbook- URGENT

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

HELP!

Apple support could not answer this question, so hopefully someone knows from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I have an Apple display 17"CRT with ADC connector and am buying a Powerbook- will it work with the ADC-DVI connector? Alexf- I know you posted earlier that it would not, but I got a different answer from 2 apple techs today who said "yes", and 1 who said "no" so I though I'd try again.

I have to pay off my powerbook tommorrow, or cancel the order, so it's VERY URGENT. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. if it won't work with the adapter, how else can I get it to work?

2. h'biki macrumors regular

You want to use the DVI-ADC converter to connect to the old studio display? They're not ADC, so you don't need the DVI-ADC connector. You need a DVI to VGA connector, which comes in the box and works fine.

The 'no' answer you received was right, but kinda ignored what your real intentions are.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The DVI-ADC connectors are designed to pass through the digital signal.

The 17" CRT ADC Studio Display is a VGA monitor with an ADC connector.

It needs the analog signal, and a lot of the DVI-ADC convertors don't work with this orphaned analog ADC arangement -- they're designed to work with the common digital signal.

---

If you want a similar model of CRT screen the Mitsubishi's Diamondtron aperture-grille CRTs come in simple VGA.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Solution...

I don't KNOW the answer, but I know there is one. I just saw a hookup like that at a buddy's house last week, but he is out of town so I can't ask what he used.
    Have you tried any Dr. Bott products?

5. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

No...I'll check them out. Thanks guys for your help- you were all right about the actual signal being analog- what disgusting marketing by Apple- I seriously thought I was buying an ADC digital monitor 3.5 years ago. I feel cheated- worst of all- the Apple Care support techs told me it would work- man I would've been pi$$ed if I'd bought everything and it didn't.

Anyway, the reason I want to use this monitor with the powerbook is because it still kicks the LCD monitors' a$$ when it comes to color and picture quality. I am waiting for the next revision of the LCD's, and didn't want to be stuck with a little 15" screen with crappy color (powerbook) for a few months. If you could ask your friend, I'd really appreciate it- I wouldn't mind spending 50-100 bucks to keep this CRT for a few more months. THANKS!

6. unemployed macrumors member

unemployed

Nope won't work

My brother just went through the exact same thing today when his new powerbook 1.5 arrived. He bought the apple ADC- DVI cable ($99) which does not work with the Aplle Studio Display 17' CRT monitor.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75286
    (read #2 under NOTES)
    Spent hours on the phone w/ Apple Care and took the monitor and powerbook to the local Apple store. In so many words the Apple Genius' said you're SOL. We talked to about 6 different people (at the store and on the phone) and many were clueless- Having no idea that Apple made a CRT with a ADC plug. They kept saying that it HAD to be a VGA plug. Well Apple did, and it doesn't work with the powerbook. Tried third party companies ie www.gefen.com -had lots of adaptors but not one that would work. Also tried http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_monitor_cables.html . . . .nothing You'll need to buy a new monitor or send back your PB. Good Luck

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord