17" CRT imac has been released!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Falleron, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Guess what, there is a new 17" CRT iMac!!!! It has a G4 processor!!!

2. freedom macrumors member

Royal Midsommarkransen, Stockholm, Sweden
    This is really cool news!

I want one for Internet & gaming…
    eMac, I wonder how long Jobs
    has been holding back this one!
    Apple´s educational sales will skyrise
    with this machine.
    What do you think?

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

4. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

It certainly wont do any harm!!! It looks like every computer is moving towards the G4!! Seen the new Tibook yet?? It looks great.

5. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

MY GOD STEVE IS GOD

Attached Files:

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

$1,249.00
    700MHz PowerPC G4
    128MB SDRAM
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    56K internal modem

$1,516.00
    700MHz PowerPC G4
    512MB SDRAM
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
    56K internal modem
    eMac Stand

those are the two specs...

interesting that it's education only (it seems)... also still somewhat pricey (not sub-1000 as many have asked for) but it looks good in my opinion

7. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Not too far off the 1000 mark though. And I presume that later on they will be introduced to the general public + not just education.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

after a bit more looking i found this

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/apr/29emac.html

it's apparently starting at 999... not sure why i didn't get that price when logging into the education store. maybe it's because i went in as a student, not as administrator or whatever... looks great though

9. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Oh what! They are not going to be sold until June according to the UK Apple store!!

10. iGav macrumors G3

Sh*t man......

Apple has gon on a bit of a blitz today........ new TiBooks and the eMac.......

I want to apologise to sjs as I rememeber a while ago, completely disagreeing that Apple would release a 17"CRT all in one mac.......

You were right buddy!!!! ;)

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it says "late may" on the US store...

i guess the key is that they need em by mid summer so that schools can have time to get them set up and everything before fall...

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

That's an amazing computer! Who would have thought that on an unremarkable day like the 29/04/02, a whole new computer would be released? Are normal consumers allowed to buy them? When do you think the old iMacs are going to stop hanging around? OK, they're cheap, but now schools are going to buy eMacs and consumers who want a mac should be willing to shell out enough for a new iMac...

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as of now the regular consumer store does not show the emac, and on the emac page, the buy now is a link right to the education store... so, for now at least, they're only for education.

i also noticed the options are different depending on whether you're at student or a school looking to buy. the cheaper options are for the schools. the 999 version doesn't have a modem (i'm guessing most schools dont need modems these days- and the ones that do can pay the little extra for it), as well as some other stuff... but all in all it looks great.

14. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Ah SWEET! This computer goes off! Why were there no rumors about this? Apple did a brilliant job of keeping this one quiet... I don't think anyone was expecting this.

And it's nice to see a departure from iEverything...

anyone remember the ePower? The iMac rip off? He he he :)

15. iGav macrumors G3

Beej

Some people were predicting these macs, a 17" CRT all in one mac, although we all thought it'd be just called the iMac, or classic iMac, but this is a wonderous move by Apple, a completely new enclosure, with a G4...... this is very good for Apple in the education sector!!

I'm beginning to think we may just get the G4 iBook at MWNY.... I really believe that the Apple will be shifting everything G4 much much sooner than people have predicted, and if this is happening then I think the G5 might be closer than we all think, maybe towards Autumn this year (Not MWNY I think that might be pushing it!!) but then again, as Apple have proved this year with the new iMac, 14" iBooks, much improved TiBooks, and the eMac...... we could be in for a seriously exciting MWNY......

Heh heh....... my how things change, last week the boards were pretty quiet on the new release front, now monday, a major upgrade, and a completely new machine!!

Outstanding!!!

:D

16. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

One thing is true, there is very little range of processing speeds across the product range! 700-1000 (on G4's anyway). There needs to be a larger gap between top and bottom, come on NY.

17. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

18. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Beej

Indeed, but I don't think anyone here could honestly say that they were expecting to see a 17" CRT, G4 (e)iMac in a new enclosure any time soon.

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i agree. let's hope they really widen the gap at mwny. who knows what we'll see.... never ceasing to surprise/amaze us.

20. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

Finally after macrumors posts the new eMac when I told them about it i dont get my name mentioned?!

21. iGav macrumors G3

Falleron and TiMacLover

MWNY is going to be mental....... :D

the current 700Mhz to 1ghz chip is certainly quite close, although there are the differences with regards to L3 cache and Dual options, but making the eMac a G4 is a master stroke, all they need to do is shift the iBook to G4 and I believe this will happen at MWNY!! It'd be so cool to have Apples range all on the G4, and with regards to users it's an unanswerable boom to have even the low end macs on this chip......

Now what have Apple got up their slinky sleeve with regards to the Powermacs??

All indications point to a stunning MWNY....... heh heh..... :p

It's gonna be bonkers around here!!!:D

22. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Beej

Completely agree with you... I was one of the doubters, I recall having a discussing as to why Apple wouldn't release such a machine...... retooling, redesigning etc etc.....

I don't think anyone really expected it to happen either, and the fact that its just appeared is even more the impressive.......

Don't just love Apple when they do things like this!!!:D

23. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

130% the resolution of the consumer model...is this wise?

24. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

A couple of points:
    • What? No handle? I'm disappointed!
    • Made for schools. You'd think they could cover the speakers...
    • I guess this raises the question about an eBook. PowerMac, PowerBook. iMac, iBook. eMac, ... get my point? So what will we see, G4 iBooks, G3 eBooks? That would give Apple a chance to use their fast G3 chips...
    Just some thoughts...