17" iMac 2GHZ 1 GB RAm good enough for PS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mhiero, Apr 1, 2007.

1. mhiero macrumors member

would this iMac be a good buy for some photoshop use (I wont be working with any huge images, maybe 2000x1500 at the VERY most)

so screen size wise would this be any good?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I manage to live with the macbook in sig (1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 13" display).

I reckon you might want a bigger display than that, if it's possible.

Not sure about the RAM; it might be fine, but if it isn't you can always upgrade later. :)

3. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

thats exactly what i have. i use an excessive amount of photoshop and other pro-apps and it works just fine, but i would recommend CS3 so you don't have to run it under Rosetta. i use CS and its not the fastest thing in the world, but it is enough to get by.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No:

1) 17" display is really small if you want to do any serious Photoshop work. And it doesnt matter if you;re working with 2000x1500 images or 35XXx26XX like me, because the screen's resolution is still lower.

2) 1 GB RAM on an Intel Mac is like 512 MB on a PPC Mac, especially if you're using non-native app (like Photoshop). 2gigs minimum for photography. My iMac has 1.5 GB and its really slowing down when using Aperture and especially when I have to use Aperture and Photoshop at the same time.

So I recomment at least a 20" display and with a minimum of 2 GBs RAM for photo work.