17" iMac G5 Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by monke, Feb 4, 2006.

1. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I purchased my iMac in September (before the built in iSight model came out), and over the last two months I have started to notice a 'popping' noise coming out of the back.

This 'popping' noise occurs running regular tasks ( typing in pages, editing in iMovie, adding loops to a song in Garageband etc.) The part I am worried about is that although it sounds like a 'popping' noise it also sounds like a spark. Whenever this sound happens, that task I am preforming stops for a moment or two and continues. Now after this sound has happened I can smell a smoke in the room, only for a few seconds but it is definatly there. Any help?

PS: The iMac is running Mac OS X 10.4 and is not plugged into the internet yet (in process of extending cable to another room). It is widely open and is not close to any wall

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How terribly uncool. Do the fans come on?

I'd back everything up and take it to Apple. I don't think iMacs were designed to make queer noises and smell like smoke. :eek:

3. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Trust me the fans come on, it is almost unnoticeable.

I failed to mention that the majority of the time I hear this 'popping' noise, the fans are blazing away. Once again the fans come on performing the same, small and usual tasks, like iDVD and even iTunes.

Additionaly, over the last week or so, I have noticed that the light sensor on the front has stopped pulsing. When it sleep mode the light stays at about 50% until I wake the iMac up.

PS: I ordered it over the phone and their is no Apple Store near me, I would be broke if there was, so what should I do? Call Apple?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Reset the SMU and then definitely call Apple. This is pretty strange behaviour. :(

5. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

I reset the SMU and it worked. Thanks for that madjew.

One question before I phone Apple though:
    How loud should the fans be and when should they come on?
    Should they becoming on while watching a DVD?

On a side note, when I reset the SMU and turned my computer on I did not here the classic Macintosh start up tune. My volume was on, about half full, but I did not here a single thing.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. Even if the popping has stopped I'd still talk to Apple about any prior damage done.

The fans can get extremely loud but during general usage I find I don't really notice them. Others have reported differently though. I always listen to music as I work so maybe that's why.

They shouldn't be noticeable. They certainly shouldn't be louder than the optical drive.

Erm, if it just happened the one time then don't worry about it but if you don't hear the sound again then post back here and we'll see what we can do. :)

7. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

Didn't happen, few times now.

Do you happen to have the number to call Apple? It's not 1-800-iMac-pop is it? :p

8. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

i dont know the number, but i would call, and tell the problem and hopefully they send you a nice intel imac back instead because they are all out of stock of G5s in some places

9. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

By chance would the number be 1-800-MY-APPLE?

thechris69 I only wish they would send me an Intel iMac, or maybe a 20" Power PC one?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hmm...I might need to reset my SMU as well. My fans were acting up yesterday and I was watching the Activity Monitor too.

Anyways, DVD playback is surprisingly quiet on the iMac G5 Rev. B. I've got one too and I do it all the time. :D

11. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

I thought it was supposed to be, mine altough isn't quiet.

I've had problems before of the fans in overload while recording sound in iMovie.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I said DVD playback not encoding. My fans fire up too while encoding in iMovie and Handbrake.

13. monke thread starter macrumors 65816

monke

I said nothing about encoding DVD's, while watching DVD's the fans come on.

The fans also come on when recording a sound in iMovie.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ah, I see.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For the lack of start up tone, I'd try a PRAM reset. I don't know the number of Apple in the States but as a rule, I'd definitely call them, even if things are working properly, since you were getting strange smells.