17" iMAC G5 v.s. 15" PowerBook G4 (HELP!)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pagartimun, Oct 24, 2005.

1. pagartimun macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I wonder how people have no dilemma when surfing and buying an Apple, they make damn good-drool-over products!
    And I have not switch form Windows yet, still waiting for the right time...but in progress...

Anyways, please help decide which to get...The PB last update was not that much...I am thinking of getting the iMac and wait for 2/3 years before getting the revamped apple/intel. Of course I'll save $ in this way too...Will iMac serves my need? Mostly will be doing video editing and photo editing/adobe. I will update the Ram to 1.5 gig.

Ofcourse PB looks so nice....

What y'all think?
    :confused:

2. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

If you *NEED* portability get the PB. If not go iMac, you get so much more computer for less dough.

Better GPU
    Better graphics
    Bigger display
    Built-in iSight
    Front Row & Remote
    and so on...

3. budugu macrumors 6502

It is just about portability ... and if you need it. I suggest you go with the imac if you want to do video editing. If donot have a laptop (windows or mac) you are better of getting a powerbook. As you will pretty soon appreciate the portability.

4. milky23 macrumors regular

The iMac is a far better value than the current Powerbook lineup. You get a great deal more power. An iMac will serve your needs MUCH more than a PowerBook will, as far as power is concerned. The iMac gets my vote.

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Having just bought a powerbook that is already have screen issues I would say go for the iMac.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Whichever one you go with, PB or iMac, I would strongly suggest that you max out the RAM if you can afford to do so. That will help significantly in doing the kinds of things you mention. Portability is great, yes, with the PB, but the iMac, because it is a G5 (as opposed to the G4 in the PB) will from the get-go have more processing power.

OTB

7. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

GET THE iMAC!!!

unless you really really really really need portability, get the iMac

laptops are a pain and are so small

i had an ibook then a year later got a iMac and was so much more happier with the iMac.

plus the new iMacs are thinner, have built in iSight, and has FrontRow!! :p

get the imac ;)

8. panda macrumors regular

curious

what were your issues on the pb screen?????
    :eek:

9. Skareb macrumors member

The G4 processor was dated in 2000. Not much has changed except several more band aids.

Go the iMac, you wont regret it.

Jordan

10. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

You mean you've got screen issues with the latest high res 15" powerbook? What is wrong with it?

11. pagartimun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the advice. Appreciate it, now I feel better and leaning more towards iMAC.
    :p

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Normally I would say go for the iMac/iBook combo, but in your case,
    for any serious video editing, I'd have to recommend a new dual core
    PowerMac, 2 GB (3rd Party) RAM with a Dell 24" display.

If your budget simply does not permit you to go that route, then a new iMac G5 should cover the basics.

You pay a tremendous premium for portability in any good desktop replacement laptop but generally you sacrifice performance and storage.

In most cases, your actual portable needs would be well covered with an iBook as long as you also have a desktop for all your heavy lifting.

If you already have a half way decent display, I'd go for the PowerMac and add a portable and an upgraded display as budget permits.

You won't be disappointed.

13. pagartimun thread starter macrumors newbie

Budget wont allow for PowerMac and I'm not editing video and photo for professional use, mostly personal use. So iMac should be fine right?

But the 1.9GHz 17"v.s 2.1GHz 20", does the speed of G5 make significant difference? Any ideas?
    Which is better value?

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There's nothing more pleasing than working with a large display.

The 36% extra real estate in the display, speed, storage, better GPU all make the 20" iMac a fantastic value.

15. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Chrispy, when are you going to start listening to me. Who told you to get the imac?!:D