17" Imac opinions please :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dino679, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Dino679 macrumors newbie

Hi all, new to this place...I found brand new 1ghz 17" Imacs for a great price $1299 , (I havent purchased yet) Question is as far as the LCD goes, im totally used to a CRT...will I like the change, is the crt sharper/better colors?...this is the only thing holding me back and also ive read about possible dead pixels...Ok any replies will be helpful, thanks...Dino.:D

2. radhak macrumors regular

first of all, don't bother about the dead pixels. try and forget there is any such thing. reason is, you might have one or two dead pixels, which logically is not much, but if you are able to use some software (there are such) to find these, you could easily get obsessed with them, seeing them even if they don't cause you any problem visually. as far as my own lcd is concerned, there is no such thing as a dead pixel - i never checked ;)

quality-wise, crt is far better than lcd.
    an lcd cannot have better colors than a crt, as any graphics person; a crt allows you to change the resolution of the screen without any issue, but the lcd is best seen at the resolution it was built for; in any other resolution, you would see fuzzy text.

all that said, the imac's lcd is a thing of art. since i switched, i have always seen the mac on this lcd, so i don't know how much better the colors would look on a crt, and i am happy - this is gorgeous. the best part though, is the ultra flexible neck. you can position the screen in almost any position you want, which is a blessing if you have multiple users for the same machine, particularly with varying heights ;)

the shape of the screen is different : it is pronounced rectangular compared to other lcd screens i have seen, and it bothered me at first, for around 24 hours. now i would not have it any other way :)

but remember, if you want the iMac, you gotta take the lcd with it ;), and unless you are a graphic artist or want to do some extreme stuff with your machine (that needs upgrades, for example), the iMac is lovely. and what a conversation piece :D

3. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Re: 17" Imac opinions please :)

Where did you find them for that price? I was trying to help a buddy find one. If this is the deal from dealmac, that place sold out already. My buddy went to buy one on Sunday and when we clicked buy, it said it was no longer available. I love my imac, I say order it already!:D

4. cubist macrumors 68020

I disagree that "crt is better than lcd". LCDs are sharper, which means less eyestrain. (Take a magnifying glass to a CRT, you see blurry clouds. Take it to an LCD, you see squares of color.) Their colors may not be as pure or rich, but in most cases, the difference is not noticeable.

For most users and purposes, LCDs are vastly better than CRTs.

5. radhak macrumors regular

agreed, lesser eyestrain, i forgot to add that. but like i said, the people who are into the richer colors and depth, don't go for lcd.

at the same time, the resolution thing is a drag, and maybe its relevant if you have multiple users for the machine.
    my wife hates small text, but likes the sharper resolution; with this lcd, she needs to increase the text size within the app if it allows it (like Word or Safari do) as it shows a major blur if she changes the resolution. with a crt, would not have been an issue - change the resolution without such a side-effect.

6. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I've got a 1GHz 17" iMac. I've had it since about a month after their debut (Feb. 2003). It's a great machine. I love it. By far, the best feature is the small footprint. The screen is fantastic, as others have pointed out, as is the flexible arm. Speed-wise, I don't have too many problems. It's obviously not as fast as a G5 but I the speed doesn't bother me.

I'm sure fans of the G4 Cube would disagree, but I believe that the LCD iMac is the most beautiful computer every produced.

Squire

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Re: 17" Imac opinions please :)

Be wary of a scam. I wouldn't buy it at that price unless you had good reason to believe its a legit sale

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I see it the same way. LCDs are just so much better. I always get a headache when I have to work with a CRT. Maybe CRTs have vastly increased their quality in the past 5 years (mine is that old) but if not - LCDs are so much better