17" iMac or 1.6 G5 Powermac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mwjd299, Nov 18, 2003.

1. mwjd299 macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2003
    Santa Maria, CA
    Both computers are the same price after today's announcement. I have two 17" crt monitors. I am switching to a MAC, but will keep the PC, so I would utilize both monitors. Is the 1.6 G5 worth it versus the iMac 1.25 G4? The differences are obvious, more computer versus a flat panel monitor. I am retired and don't need a powerful computer, just for iPhoto and internet and, of course, iTunes. Buying the G5 would cost a little more, speakers and service pack to mention a couple. I am leaning towards the G5.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    get the powermac g5
    only because you already have 2 displays
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Re: 17" iMac or 1.6 G5 Powermac

Don't lean towards it, fall over on top of it.

Quite a few people come back here and ask about upgrading various aspects of the iMac computer after outgrowing the older models (sometimes they even ask about newly purchased ones.) Basically it's RAM only, and then start plugging stuff in outside the box.

If you plan on keeping the machine a significant amount of time, the Towers generally have held up better over the long run than the iMacs.

Just the ease of adding memory, hard drives (or optical), and video cards have kept the machines on people's desk longer than old iMacs. Even if they didn't upgrade the CPUs.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    For that light usage? I'd say the iMac, takes up less space on the desk, has that nifty arm, and you can still use both of those displays for the PC, or even sell one for some quick cash.
  6. aethier macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2003
    Montréal, Canada
    actually mac world magasine recently did an artical on updating the g4 imacs, and they put in new hardrives superdrives, ram ect. everything is upgradeable, aside from the grpahics card and which is solder on the mb. the only thing is that the RAM is real simple to upgrade these other things are more complex. and you could puut a new monitor, if you use the mini vga (it does have that right, the emac does so..)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    And if you do that, you void your warranty. So the extra money spent on Apple Care would be pointless.
  8. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    Get the G5. As new and improved iApps come out they'll be optimized for the G5 processor as well as new OS's. The G5 will last much longer so in the long run it may very well be cheaper.
  9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Let me think
    iMac=no expandablity,
    1.6= a little bit of expand ablity
    Dual 1.25 G4 tower= heaps of expandablity

Got the Dual G4 tower you can't go wrong, I'll let your pocket decide.
  10. 512ke macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    My 2 cents

The imac is roughly comparable to the professional powerbook series in terms of its capabilities (slightly slower processor but faster hard drive). The flat panel on the iMac is very easy on the eyes, especially using Panther. Personally for what I do (writing, surfing, only a touch of video) I would rather have an imac which includes a wonderful adjustable display than a G5 with a 17" CRT.

I would lean more toward creature comfort (iMac) than speed (G5).
  11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    guys, come on. He said he will be doing iphoto, itunes, and internet. And for that you think he needs a G5? :rolleyes: A G3 imac 600 could do those things with no problem.

The imac will be quieter, take up less space than the CRT monitor, be far more attractive, and have a much nicer, adjustable display.
  12. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
    Boy, that is a tough one to figure out. I am now using an iMac G3 400 that I love. Still love the thing. I upgraded the ram to 640. Runs jaguar like a charm. The only thing it doesn't do for me is play new games, keynote, and iSight. I have been more that happy with my purchase and thought it would last me only three years. This is the fourth and I think we have another year or two left together for daily usage. I could see the need for a G5 if you were big into professional apps like photoshop. I use photoshop now and it takes awhile to load and do filters. It's fine though. So I think the iMac will be good for about four years and then you can get the newest hottest thing. You could probably get the G5 and get six or seven years out of it and lots of money for upgraded parts and such. But in four years you are going to want a fresh system anyway. Get the iMac and enjoy it.
  13. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003
    Well here's my 2 cents , go for the iMac it's now in it's 3rd generation at it's current form , a proven everyday use machine. i have a 15' iMac 800Mhz/512ram "1st Gen Flat-panel iMac". and it's a lil work horse it does everything i need to do just fine , itunes , some minor Video Editing with FCE , and a lil Photoshop here and there. Why are all of you giving this person bad advice he already said he does not need a Powerful comp so he would never utilize the advantages of a G5. remember that a the 1.6 G5 is $1799+whatever LCD he plans 2 Purchase. here are some other Points

1. the iMac has a Gorgeous Screen which is now even better with the 20in iMac and once he get's a taste of that he will trash his eye straining CRT's .I know i would never go back 2 CRT's after having one of these.

2. Bang for Buck Factor, he'll save plenty of money this way why does this guy need 2 spend all that money if the only thing he's going to gain is a few less seconds ripping tracks on Itunes. Since this guy is not a Pro user he doesn't need the extra power, and c'mon who really want's 2 use a G5 with a CRT that's just Blasphemy..lol.

3. For all of you saying the iMac is not upgradable this is both Ture and false yes ram is the only Legal upgrade but as Macwrold showed us you can add more then just ram, new Hard Drives "8X DVD-R's anyone". of course this would void ur warranty so be warned.

so what i say iMac all the Way :)