17" Imac Vs. 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nitynate, Jan 29, 2006.

1. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I Dont know which to get. I am 13 years old and I need a computer for Internet, and photoshop ;) Which do you think I should get?

EDIT: Or a 14" Ibook?

2. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

The 20inch Imac. I looked at once today in person finally and was amazed. I am going to return my new ibook and get one of these instead.

3. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont have the room (or money, i am 13) for 20".......

4. budugu macrumors 6502

even thought the imac 17" is better and much faster. I think you will be better of with a 12" ibook. the portability allows you to take it to classes and stuff. If you are not exactly a mac buff. probably get a 600-700$ HP (celeron M+ DVDRW) compaq/ACER deals that you find in stores like compusa, circuitcity. THat should be more than enough for middle - high school.

5. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry..... I just threw up a little in my mouth.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The 17" iMac offers much more powerful and faster processing, far greater storage a vastly improved display, built in iSight which would all give you more computer for your money.

At 13 there are just too many things that can happen to a portable.

7. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

But my parents are pretty strict. If I get it I will have to have it in a case. I cant take it to classes. Plus, the powerbook is more portable and sleeker for my on-the-go life.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you decide on a portable, then I'd wait for the Intel 12", then compare your options again.

The problem is that you pay such a high premium for portablity and still do not get the power of an iMac at a much more affordable price.

If you just need a basic laptop, then consider a refurbished 12" 1.33 GHz iBook for $799.00

Plenty of power for portable needs at a very affordble price.

The only serious drawback is the small 40 GB HD.

9. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

sorry but that just sounds really funny that at 13 years of age you consider yourself to have an on-the-go life... and there's no reason a 13 year old middle schooler would need a laptop to bring to school.

i'm in college and i'll say it again... pen and paper is the best way to take notes when you are in school. :)

10. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not if you type 72wpm :)
    And what do you mean on-the-go not? I mean, I am 13, I have a life, unlike some people when they were my age :p

11. nsknike macrumors regular

I would say that the 17" iMac is the best choice for you. IMO you do not need to take a laptop to class to take notes, especially in middleschool. I'm in college and tried taking my laptop to take notes with and just got distracted and played chess. But also right now at the age of 13 a desktop would be much more reasonable. You would get more power, and bigger harddrive and everything else that was already stated. Or you could get a mini and an iBook, and then have a desktop and a laptop. Just my two cents.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Even though a new iMac would be your computer, there can be great benefits
    of including your parents in the experience of buying and using it.

Before you know it, your whole house goes over to OSX, mom gets the iMac and you get a serious bad ass laptop when it's time for college.

A bit of Apple family user diplomacy could pay off handsomely.

13. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I'd definitely go with the iMac man... At 13, what grade are you in? I can't imagine you'll need to bring a powerbook to school with you... Definitely overkill. The iMac would be great because it gives you the power for the heavy photoshop work but at the same time is secure enough to the point where nothing bad will happen to it. You might want to save the portable for high school when you'll really get good use out of it.

14. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

according to typingtest.com i typed around 110-120 wpm... but i still think that having a laptop to take notes is a waste of time and is more distraction than using pen/paper.

15. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

We may of had a life at 13!!!! Now we are just too old to remember!!:p :D

Back on the subject.... I would get the imac, I think the longetivity alone makes the choice easier. (assuming you are talking about getting the intel imac.)

16. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I want a laptop. *stomps foot on ground* :p

17. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

if you're set on getting a powerbook, get a powerbook.

but you're only 13 and you really dont need a laptop. that's a fact.

18. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

110 You are quick. One of my friends types 144, it is crazy.

19. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Test name - Strategic alliances with competitors
    Gross Speed - 137 wpm
    Errors - 12 words
    Net speed - 125 wpm
    Accuracy - 91%

try it out at typingtest.coom. :) see how you do.

20. nsknike macrumors regular

I remember when I was in 8th grade I wanted a laptop so badly. I got one that christmas and ended up not taking it anywhere with me, even though I went on trips all the time, I was so worried about getting it stolen. All I used it for was a desktop basically, but it was weaker and more expensive than if I bought a real desktop. Get the iMac. And if you can afford a 12" powerbook, you can afford the 20" iMac.

21. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

22. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eh....... I do like photoshopping on desktops more.................dot........dot..........dot............

23. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

this ibook i'm typing on... i honestly could have used that money to buy a desktop and i would have had a more powerful system for the same amount of money. its nice having a portable but if you really dont need the portability, get a desktop. seeing as how i commute from home to school every week, a laptop was beneficial. but you're stilll in middle school and dont need the mobility that a laptop provides.

24. nitynate thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you *like* your ibook more than you would a desktop?

25. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It really is too late in the game to be spending too much money on any
    single processor G4.
    By the time you equip a new PowerBook with enough RAM, an external back -up drive and other accessories, you've gone way over the cost of a pimped out 17" iMac.

Since you're into photography, you need the extra processing power, screen real estate and the improved graphics capablities that the iMac will provide.

You'll also be glad to have the extra storage

Try to think in terms of the iMac as your primary workstation, then work on saving up for an iBook later for portable needs.