17 in studio display bad refresh rate?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PowermacG5, Nov 26, 2003.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

When I play Medal of Honor I noticed when i move the mouse around there is sligh tranlucent line. I think my monitor isnt keeping up with my hardware. What does it look like when i monitor has a bad refresh rate?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: 17 in studio display bad refresh rate?

Is this an LCD or a CRT?

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

1st Rule, Don't use LCD's for first person shooter games,
    2nd Rule, If you want help your going to provide a little more infomation.
    3rd Rule, buy a sub $1000USD Athlon XP for gaming, and use bootlegded software to keep costs down.

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

well, his setup is not exactly 'shabby' and people should buy games... I am not just saying that because that is what I do for a living :p

You are experiencing a common 'problem' on LCD displays (assuming that is what you use). Kind of the reverse of CRT's: while CRT's 'lose' the image once the ray passed through the phosphor (so you need to have the ray race through your screen as many times as possible), LCD's have a latency - once you light a pixel it stays on and requires some time to update.
    Moving the mouse pointer on my Powerbook leaves a trail, too...

Depending on how bad it affects you (I think Unreal Tournament looks pretty good on my Powerbook) you can either live with it, get a CRT for gaming or try and find a LCD with a faster screen redraw.

5. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

LCD

I said apple studio display. I was aparently talking about an LCD.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: LCD

Okay, well if you didn't know the studio display is the name Apple has been using for there monitors both LCDs and CRTs for the past 10 years.

Since it's an LCD the problem is quite clear. LCDs do not have the pixel refresh rate that CRTs have. CRTs are constantly refreshing there screen thousands of times a second. LCDs on the other hand don't refresh the whole screen each time just the pixels that need to be changed and they're still quite slow at it as compared to a CRT unless you pay a couple grand for an LCD. Also LCDs have a fixed resolution. There are only so many pixels on the screen and there numbers cannot be changed. So when you pick a different screen resolution on an LCD it has to interpret how many pixels to turn on to simulate one pixel at it's normal resolution. They get fuzzy when you do that.

For the reasons I listed above people who play a lot of games might haven LCD but they will also have a CRT to play the games on.

7. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

There are 2 problems you might be seeing here:

1.) One problem is known as visual 'tearing', which happens when the framerate is faster than the screen refresh rate. Its extremly noticible in fast moving games, and there is an obvious 'tear' horizontally across the screen where one half has not quite caught up with the 2nd half.

The fix for this is easy - enable "Vsync" in the game you're playing. This will cap your framerate to your monitors refresh rate, and completly eliminate the tearing

2.) The other common problem with LCD's is ghosting, where the pixels in the monitors can't change fast enough, which causes a "ghost" or a "streak" image to appear in fast moving games or movies. This is quite common with LCD's, and CRT's are not affected. The only solution to this problem is to get an LCD with a faster pixel response time.

8. ptha macrumors newbie

It's not the studio display

I use my 17" studio display lcd monitor on my windows pc. And played a lot of games with it. And it hasn't any trails due latency of pixels. The display is very fast with it's redraw. And I hear from many pc user only friends that my display has a never seen superb image, especially with games. And they have very good lcd displays.

So I think your should use vsync or set your refresh rate to 60 Hz.

And yes I also have a mac.