17 in studio display blows DO NOT BUY

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Refresh rate cannot be adjusted. If you like games especialy first person shooters there is this bulls!@t transparent strip that goes across. I have a top of the line g5 maybe the screen cant keep up with my hardware. Maybe if i bought the 20 inch and got raped even more on cost they would have a decent refresh rate that could keep up

2. ddtlm macrumors 65816

I have no idea why you are complaining about refresh rates on a LCD; your performance is bound by pixel switching times. Also, graphic defects that you see only in games are almost certainly not the fault of the LCD, since it neither knows nor cares what it is displaying or how the image was created.

3. davebl macrumors member

I have a real nice Sony 19" CRT I'll trade you!

dave

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is also a problem with some of the Radeon 9800 cards on the G5s...

Mainly that the heatsink may not be contacting the chip too well, some people have removed it and made sure that it contacted the GPU fully.

This removed some of the overheated GPU artifacts some people have been getting when playing games.

Tricked out G5: Red spots in OpenGL apps?

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I thought that S-Video was a two way standard?

I guess not though otherwise there would almost certainly be a hack to let you import on the laptops S-video plug.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Re: 17 in studio display blows DO NOT BUY

I'm sure there are other G5 owners out there with the same specifications of your machine and happily using the Apple 17" LCD. I for one am happy with my Apple 17" LCD and have had no problems with it connected to my Dual 1Ghz MDD. I understand you feel a great injustice done upon you but your isolated incident does not necessarily mean others will experience the same.

7. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

dude. now would be a good time to chill out.

in any event, if you're having a problem with a new lcd, call apple. but as stated above, there's a pretty good chance the problem isn't with your 17 inch that you got 'raped' on. sounds more like a problem with your vid card.

matt

9. mkaake macrumors 65816

heh - i can one up that - i'll trade over my apple 720 multiscan (17 inch). sure, it may not be a digital display, but the beige is stunning...

matt

after a little thought, i'll stick with this... i'd need a vga-dvi dvi-adc connector. maybe not quite worth it?

10. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

LCD monitors do not have a refresh rate. The monitor changes as fast as the pixels are capable of changing.
    LCD monitors are good for clarity, but they aren't designed for fast motion video. If you need a monitor with an adjustable response time for graphics changes, you need a CRT. If you need a monitor with the best possible pixel clarity, you need an LCD.
    LCD's don't fit every need. It was unnecessary to unilaterally declare "17-inch LCD blows"

Your issues with a "transparent strip" (although I'm not entirely sure what you mean) sound like a defect in the graphics card. That is not normal behavior, but the problem is not refresh rate.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

uh... yeah. you mind knowing what you're talking about before you start a new thread?

pnw

12. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Yea, :rolleyes: show me much better deals on a 20" LCD that isn't cheap plastic crap. You're talking out of your ass, because no one could touch Apple when their priced their 20", Formac had to DROP prices to compete. So go spew your whining FUD somewhere else.

I haven't seen any LCDs from Apple with refresh rates so why is this a shock?

13. davebl macrumors member

I have 4 19" sony monitors, 3 identical, one is a different. I'd love to trade some of them and some cash for one 20" lcd.

But CRT's just dont have the coolness factor LCD's do.

Surely someone out there has some desk realestate for some good quality CRT's . . . . . . .

14. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Last time I checked, that was English, in all its glory.

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hey. I live in pittsburgh. Let's meet up. I'll give you $100 for the 17" display. ok?

Ill even throw in a PC for ya. :)

16. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You bought an LCD for gaming and compain about lag? Is it really Apple's fault you didn't do your homework before buying?

17. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I have a 17in studio and it's fine. Miles better than any other monitor I've owned or used. I've seen Apple LCDs used for a UT2003 LAN session on G5s and there was no transparent line. There was a bit of motion blur but you'd expect that (or should) with current LCDs.

I'll give your buying advice a miss if you don't mind ;)

18. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Re: Re: 17 in studio display blows DO NOT BUY

I did. I use the 17" Studio for everyday work. Bright. Easy on the eyes. Great monitor.
    I bought a 21" Sony E540 for games (A whopping $485.00) because, well, the LCD SUCKED for games or full-screen video.

Oh, and I believe it should be:

"Why don't you speak english, Tech Boy?"

Capital "W", "Tech Boy" being evidently a proper noun, the comma AND the question mark. "Quotes" were added by me and weren't really needed. Grade: D- only because you spelled the words right. :)

19. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Refresh rate and pixel response time are two completly different things. Which are you referring to?

20. lmann macrumors member

JEZUS CHRIST, just get yourself a CRT for gaming ! It's as simple as that !:eek:

21. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Re: Re: 17 in studio display blows DO NOT BUY

Art Institute... wooo wooo :D :confused:

22. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

?????? I think this thread needs to be put out of its misery.

23. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Re: Re: 17 in studio display blows DO NOT BUY

Ummm. no. are you one of their future kinko's employees, er.... students?

i have a $100 right here for that display...

24. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I think he's lost his mind. He lost me at "why don't you speak english. Tech boy".

25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

too much ecstasy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.