17 inch Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tuned MP5T, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Is there any word on a 17 inch Cinema Display? Apple introduce the Mac Mini for people who want a Mac but are on a budget. Don't think they think they should have a Display that is less then $1k?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I wish they would introduce a low cost 17in monitor. It seems like a good idea for Apple to release a monitor to match the Mini at a low price. However Apple can be stubborn and it may be awhile before Apple releases a companion monitor.

3. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I honestly think it would be very good for apple to release a 17" Cinema Display. If its around $400-$450, many people would buy it for there minis cause its there to buy, and there are very few other 17" Widescreen LCDs on the market. Ultimatly I think it would appeal to both Mac users and PC users. I think a turn off of the mac mini is that say you want to buy one so you go to the apple store. There you can get the Mini, mouse and keyboard. Assuming that you would want a monitor your only choices that you can make and take home in the store are $1000+ Apple LCDs and CRTs.

I think apple should have packages of equipment to appeal to the different buyers who are interested such as...

1) 499/599- what they have now no monitor, keyboard, or mouse
    2) 449/549- mini, wired mouse + keyboard
    3) 479/579- mini, bt mouse + keyboard
    4) 799/899- mini, mouse, keyboard, 17" LCD (not sure about wired or wireless m+k)

Then there would be the same ones with a superdrive. Also if you want airport then have them just stick in the card. With that system I think it would be much easier for buyers to easily pick out a system thats right for them.

#1 would appeal to a person who has everything except the comp. #2 would be for someone who just needs the M+K. #3 would be for a person who already has a monitor. #4 is for someone who wants everything.

This way the targeted buyers could easily pick out a computer with out having to look around at other stores for equipment.

Wow I got a little sidetracked there!

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Why would the price go down?

5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I think Apple would do well with a $499 17" Cinema Display. The only question is whether Apple would have the margins they would like at that price for it to be profitable. If not, then we'll never see one from them obviously. Seeing as how the 20" is currently $999, then they would probably want/need $599 or even $699 for a 17". At the price it wouldn't be a good low cost companion to the mini. You might as well buy a $399 Sony 17" LCD or something comparable to that.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

17" display based on the iMac - it would be called the iScreen - I made a picture!! And it looks GOOD!!!

:D :D :D :cool:

[​IMG]

7. vtprinz macrumors 6502

looks very strange without the wide aspect ratio :rolleyes:

Back to the drawing board! :D

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

well thats what you get for 17"!! :p

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good job on the concept drawing. I think that it would compliment the design of the Mac mini quit well. Apple are you taking notice?

10. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Check out http://www.macosrumors.com/

Specifically: "Apple will stick with its 20, 23, and 30-inch displays through the end of 2005, according to Apple sources -- but a new entry-level 17-inch widescreen and high-end 40-inch-plus model are both still in development as we reported in November of last year.

Price drops are in the cards, but are probably about six months away -- as is the release of the new high-end panel. Announcement of the 17-inch widescreen display could come at almost any time, as the unit is based on the same panel used in the iMac G5 and is basically ready to go."

11. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I guess it makes sense since the Mac mini has some white panels.