Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
I certainly am not a hypocrite. Apple is the one doing the repairs and it's not my fault that the repairs that Apple has performed are consistently of substandard quality. If the new owner has problems with laptop, he/she can take it up with Apple.

You've posted repeatedly about how Apple sold you a lemon, took advantage of you, misrepresented the product, etc, etc. Now here you are doing exactly what you claim they did to you to someone else, with the same product.

You absolutely are a hypocrite.

Suspended
Jan 27, 2009
You've posted repeatedly about how Apple sold you a lemon, took advantage of you, misrepresented the product, etc, etc. Now here you are doing exactly what you claim they did to you to someone else, with the same product.

No. I'm not, and neither is the other poster. For all I know this board will be good for years to come. Apple sure says it will. I'm going to tell the that the logic board was replaced. I'll even tell them it was because of a GPU issue if they ask.

You sir, have a major fault in your logic. I'm not standing by the product. Apple is standing by their product, and the buyer is welcome to take up any issues they may or may not have with the corporation.

I'm through attempting to show you the flaw in your logic, and future posts from you will be disregarded.

Reactions: tubeexperience

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

Not at all.

When I got my MBP back, I asked the Apple Genius if the new logic board might have the same issue.

He assured me that the replacement logic board is a "new revision" that has been redesigned and doesn't have the same fault.

Not only that, he said that he has not seen or heard of a single case of the new logic board failing.

So when I sell my MBP, it will come equip with a new logic board that according to Apple is very unlikely to fail.

Last edited:

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
Not at all.

When I got my MBP back, I asked the Apple Genius if the new logic board might have the same issue.

He assured me that the replacement logic board is a "new revision" that has been redesigned and doesn't have the same fault.

Not only that, he said that he has not seen or heard of a single case of the new logic board failing.

So when I sell my MBP, it will come equip with a new logic board that according to Apple is very unlikely to fail.
One which you've claimed all over this forum will fail, regardless of what Apple says.

You can argue it all you want, but that doesn't make it true. You wanted to call out Apple as crooks for selling you something that went defective after years of use, yet here you are attempting to justify an even more deliberate version of the same act. You want to pretend that it's all Apple, but when you do it there's nothing wrong with it.

That's blatant hypocrisy. You're no victim - just a hypocrite.
[doublepost=1461943337][/doublepost]
No. I'm not, and neither is the other poster. For all I know this board will be good for years to come. Apple sure says it will. I'm going to tell the that the logic board was replaced. I'll even tell them it was because of a GPU issue if they ask.

You sir, have a major fault in your logic. I'm not standing by the product. Apple is standing by their product, and the buyer is welcome to take up any issues they may or may not have with the corporation.

I'm through attempting to show you the flaw in your logic, and future posts from you will be disregarded.

You're selling something because you suspect an issue will arise, and you're neglecting to tell the buyer anything about it.

You can justify it to yourself by saying that the buyer should know better, or that it's Apple's responsibility. But we both know that isn't really the case. It's just you attempting to keep the money you get from someone guilt free.

As for ignoring my posts, go for it. If that's your best response to being called a hypocrite, I'd say the point was made and struck home.

Reactions: hojx and ron1004

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
One which you've claimed all over this forum will fail, regardless of what Apple says.

You can argue it all you want, but that doesn't make it true. You wanted to call out Apple as crooks for selling you something that went defective after years of use, yet here you are attempting to justify an even more deliberate version of the same act. You want to pretend that it's all Apple, but when you do it there's nothing wrong with it.

That's blatant hypocrisy. You're no victim - just a hypocrite.
[doublepost=1461943337][/doublepost]

You're selling something because you suspect an issue will arise, and you're neglecting to tell the buyer anything about it.

You can justify it to yourself by saying that the buyer should know better, or that it's Apple's responsibility. But we both know that isn't really the case. It's just you attempting to keep the money you get from someone guilt free.

As for ignoring my posts, go for it. If that's your best response to being called a hypocrite, I'd say the point was made and struck home.

As I have previously said, Apple is the one that performed the repair and the one that has attested to the quality of the repair

I did not performed the repair so I can't and won't attest to such.

If the buyer find the quality of the repair to be unsatisfactory, he/she can take up the issue with Apple.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to hear your unequivocal answers (agree or disagree) to the following statements:

1. The repairs that Apple has performed in regard to the video issues on the 2011 MBP are up to standard.

2. After Apple has performed such repairs, the products are now fit for purpose.

3. Apple has attested to the quality of the repairs it has performed.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
As I have previously said, Apple is the one that performed the repair and the one that has attested to the quality of the repair

If the buyer find the quality of the repair to be unsatisfactory, he/she can take up the issue with Apple.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also want to hear your unequivocal answers (agree or disagree) to the following statements:

1. The repairs that Apple has performed in regard to the video issues on the 2011 MBP are up to standard.

2. After Apple has performed such repairs, the products are now fit for purpose.

My opinion on Apple repairs has nothing to do with you being a hypocrite.

YOU have stated the repair isn't good enough.

YOU have stated the repair will fail.

YOU are only selling because you believe the repair will fail.

It's crooked, you know it, and you're trying to justify your behavior. It's shameful, pitiful, and above everything, hypocritical.

Suspended
Jan 27, 2009

Just ignore matt_on_a_mountain. There' no point in egging something on. He's got his imaginary Justice Police badge on, and I'm pretty sure it's not coming off, no matter how many times his logic is proven incorrect and actions justified.

He's just trying to win an argument that he started over the internet for some reason. Just let him think he has won. Everyone needs to think they are important and have made a difference in the world sometimes. It's just sad when they have to do it via near anonymity online.

Last edited:

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-17-inch-late-2011-gpu-just-died.1967870/

I politely asked the Apple Genius if I might encountered the same issue again after the repair has been completed. He assured me that that "rarely" ever happened and that most people are " completely satisfied" with the repairs.

I wonder how it feels to have to repeat the same lies over and over again.

Someone wearing his poor character and culture on his sleeve.

Now its all too convenient to claim that the Apple Genius is truthful, but previously he was a repetitive liar.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastalOR

Suspended
Jan 27, 2009
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-17-inch-late-2011-gpu-just-died.1967870/

Someone wearing his poor character and culture on his sleeve.

Now its all too convenient to claim that the Apple Genius is truthful, but previously he was a repetitive liar.

Which side are you trying to support? It's really unclear.

Edit: This thread has already taken up WAY to much of my time. I'm just going to "unwatch" this thread now. Have a good internet argument, everyone. I'm off to sell my MacBook which recently had the logic board replaced and will be backed by Apple as being functional for the next year.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
My opinion on Apple repairs has nothing to do with you being a hypocrite.

YOU have stated the repair isn't good enough.

YOU have stated the repair will fail.

YOU are only selling because you believe the repair will fail.

It's crooked, you know it, and you're trying to justify your behavior. It's shameful, pitiful, and above everything, hypocritical.

Why don't you just answer my questions? Why do you keep deflecting?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The questions are as follow:

Do you agree or disagree with the following statements?:

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
Which side are you trying to support? It's really unclear.

Edit: This thread has already taken up WAY to much of my time. I'm just going to "unwatch" this thread now. Have a good internet argument, everyone. I'm off to sell my MacBook which recently had the logic board replaced and will be backed by Apple as being functional for the next year.

It's laughable that your response has been to ignore those criticizing you, and then to exit. If you had a valid response that didn't make you seem like you're trying to screw someone you would have used it.

Good luck with that kind of approach in life. I assure you, you'll need it.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
It's laughable that your response has been to ignore those criticizing you, and then to exit. If you had a valid response that didn't make you seem like you're trying to screw someone you would have used it.

How about you just answer the questions?

Suspended
Jan 27, 2009

I guess turning off thread notifications allows you to still get notifications if you get quoted. Huh. Good to know.

I believe that I have already stated my response, in that Apple is backing the computer. That should be good enough.

I wonder what is actually your problem with your life that you feel you need to police the internet. Do you feel like you have won this debate? Will that make you feel better about whatever you are avoiding in your life that causes you to feel you need superiority over others via anonymity online? Do you feel powerful if I say, yes you are right?

Well, here it goes. Yes. you are right. I'm a hypocrite. I should probably just kill myself now to save humanity.

Does that make you feel the power you need so you stop replying to these posts?

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
errr....

...trying to get somewhat back on topic.

Does anyone know what policy Apple are currently adopting on replacing "repeat" failure macBook's??

My 17" crashed again today - and is doing so more frequently - and previously this has been a precursor to total GPU failure.

I had heard that in the USA they were replacing with a new MBP after 4 failures - but in Europe it was 2 or 3 ??

Reactions: MRxROBOT

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Does anyone know what policy Apple are currently adopting on replacing "repeat" failure macBook's??

My 17" crashed again today - and is doing so more frequently - and previously this has been a precursor to total GPU failure.

I had heard that in the USA they were replacing with a new MBP after 4 failures - but in Europe it was 2 or 3 ??
- I don't know that they have a specific policy in place for it. I think it's very much up to the discretion of the representatives involved in the specific case. From what I've gathered, the 3rd failure seems to be about when most people are offered a new machine if they insist sufficiently on it.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
- I don't know that they have a specific policy in place for it. I think it's very much up to the discretion of the representatives involved in the specific case. From what I've gathered, the 3rd failure seems to be about when most people are offered a new machine if they insist sufficiently on it.

Exactly but unfortunately from what I've gathered they're more prone to want to repair this specific defect.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
@matt_on_a_mtn

There is nothing more needed to be said. The above bolded response says it all.

I am just sticking with the facts.

FACT #1: Apple has replaced the logic board because of the video issues.

FACT #2: I will provide documentations showing that Apple has perform such repair.

FACT #3: Apple has assured me that the new logic board doesn't have the same video issues.
[doublepost=1462029837][/doublepost]
errr....

Just out of curiosity, but which programs are you using?

Anything that would stresses the gGPU?

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
I guess turning off thread notifications allows you to still get notifications if you get quoted. Huh. Good to know.

I believe that I have already stated my response, in that Apple is backing the computer. That should be good enough.

I wonder what is actually your problem with your life that you feel you need to police the internet. Do you feel like you have won this debate? Will that make you feel better about whatever you are avoiding in your life that causes you to feel you need superiority over others via anonymity online? Do you feel powerful if I say, yes you are right?

Well, here it goes. Yes. you are right. I'm a hypocrite. I should probably just kill myself now to save humanity.

Does that make you feel the power you need so you stop replying to these posts?

I have no issues with my life that have made me reply - I simply dislike the idea of seeing someone knowingly cheating or taking advantage of someone else. Think of how you'd feel if you bought something, spent your hard earned money, and that something was misrepresented or known to be defective by the seller. You'd feel cheated. I don't think anyone here would disagree that there's no issue with selling it - simply disclose the repair, as well as the fact that it's a common issue and may happen again in the future. That way you move on, and the buyer is informed honestly.

As far as the rest of your post goes, I'd recommend seeking someone to talk to about those feelings. An argument on the internet should never draw out a response of "I should probably just kill myself" - even if it's stated in sarcasm. That's not a good way to feel, and a serious thing to say. Seek out someone to talk to about it, even if it's a hotline.

@matt_on_a_mtn

There is nothing more needed to be said. The above bolded response says it all.

Agreed. Between the above quoted response and tubeexperience seemingly being determined to take advantage of someone, I'd say it's time to take my leave of this thread.

Queen6

macrumors G4
We still have a 2011 15" when it die`s it dies, if before the end of the extended warranty program it will be sent to Apple. Would I sell it for much more than the cost of the battery which is way and truly cooked? No, it is, what it is, a poor design on Apple`s & ATi`s behalf, nor do either have a solid fix, Genius`s in the store just recanting the party line.

Sometimes it`s better to measured by one`s quality, than one`s wealth, as the former often results in the latter...

Q-6

Reactions: matt_on_a_mtn

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
My 2011 17" MBP had the GPU problem 4 times - on the 4th repair Apple sent me a different computer than the one (mine) I brought in for service. They essentially gave me a refurb with a horrible screen, horrible keyboard and I didn't accept it. I demanded my machine back which they could not do so they ended up giving me a brand new 15" rMBP with 2.8/16GB/1TB - a $3200 machine. I still wasn't thrilled as I loved my 17" but it was the best they could do for me.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
My 2011 17" MBP had the GPU problem 4 times - on the 4th repair Apple sent me a different computer than the one (mine) I brought in for service. They essentially gave me a refurb with a horrible screen, horrible keyboard and I didn't accept it. I demanded my machine back which they could not do so they ended up giving me a brand new 15" rMBP with 2.8/16GB/1TB - a $3200 machine. I still wasn't thrilled as I loved my 17" but it was the best they could do for me.

Yeah - I am really worried that eventually they will just stop repairing my cherished 17" late 2011 MBP - and offer me a 15" machine in replacement. I know that fundamentally its a better machine - but I really like the larger screen of the 17" machine (which is why I bought it int he first place).

Reactions: baypharm and Altis

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
errr....

I would think since the extended replacement plan is now expired that they wouldn't do anything for you.

I'd love to hear if someone has experienced differently though.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
I would think since the extended replacement plan is now expired that they wouldn't do anything for you.

I'd love to hear if someone has experienced differently though.

What "extended replacement plan"?? I'm not aware of anything having "expired" for my machine? Can you elaborate?

They have announced they are extending the GPU repair/replace programme until 31st December 2016 (for 2011/12 17" machines and 2012/13 Retina 15" machines) - so any issues that crop up with the discreet GPU's/boards will be covered until then......so I guess the question is - how many times will they keep repairing the boards......and what is a reasonable and acceptable limit of customer goodwill/tolerance that will allow them to continue doing so? My 17" machine has failed 3 times....all due to the questionable design/manufacturing of the discreet GPU mount. Its well reported and understood that the "replacement" (refurbished) boards are not as reliable as the original fitment......so this explains the number of repeat and subsequent failures users are experiencing. How many times is it acceptable to "lose" your machine and to have to make the trip to an Apple store for them to "repair" the problem with something that everyone knows will fail again in short order? Let's be clear - I love my 17" machine, (they won't be making any more of them!).....and I would have been delighted if the first "repair" had been of a superior design and quality that would have seen the machine out into obsolescence .........BUT that wasn't the case....and I now have a machine thats failed 2 more times and I simply don't trust it anymore. On top of that every time it breaks I am without it for up to 10 days at a time.........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.