17 inch MBP is cheap

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mackstar, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mackstar macrumors newbie

Hi,

I know new MBP's are just around the corner but the 17inch which I am after is almost 1000 dollars off the Apple store price in many stores in Japan.... This works out at about 2000 US where the Apple Store price is closer to 3000. Should I buy now or wait for the new ones.

At such a bargain price I am very tempted to buy now... What do you think?:confused:

Also some people say that the screens on the 17inch models are crap, what do you think??:rolleyes:

Many thanks....

2. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Do you have enough money to buy a new one if/when it comes out next week?

Will you be upset you got this one if a new one comes out next week?

Two most important questions^^^^^Good luck

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

They might be Switchers who have not grasped the concept of colour callibration, or perhaps missed the brightness buttons ;)

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

$1,000 off is $1,000 off. I don't care what anyone says the Merom aint worth $1,000 extra. Having said that if you can afford to pay the full price for a Merom model and you need a 64 bit processor for some reason sure wait and buy the new 1. Personally I'd be buying a Yonah model and spending the money I saved on extra RAM, and pocketing the rest.

5. mackstar thread starter macrumors newbie

I was also thinking along these lines, I hear Merom will bring about 20% speed increase which I am not desperate for, (I am mostly doing web dev) but I would enjoy a new casing.

I was thinking with the left over $1000 I could get my wife a MacBook that she has been going on about....?

6. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

I agree. 2K for the 17" model is a bargin, I don't care what they relase.

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

They are beautiful screens... although the Apple Store models I've seen have uneven backlighting...

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Do you know something we don't???

9. mackstar thread starter macrumors newbie

No, only whatever everyone else is speculating....Sorry:(

10. mackstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it's not that I don't have enough money, but that $1000 could be spent on something like a Mac Book and such....

I don't know, it depends on how super sleek the new enclosure might be and how many amazing features it may sport.........?

11. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

get the 17."

I'm guessing apple won't start on new design till 2007 eithe Macworld, but more likely the same release date as when 17" was originaly released.

I think they'll just try to get full intel before they do a redisgn.

Heck by then you can sell your yonah for probably the same price your buying for and spend that towards a new design if its important.

12. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

But now. We won't see a Merom MacBook Pro at WWDC unless they add something new design/feature wise. There no reason to waste 2 mins saying.. heres a faster MacBook Pro, kthx.

13. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

MacBook Pro + 30-inch display

Part of what makes the MacBook Pro a bargain in disguise is that it can drive a 30-inch LCD display (2650 x 1600). That $1000 savings would go a long way toward a Dell 30-incher, which currently goes for about $1700 shipped.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

They're decent screens, not crap - but not magical. I remember Jobs enthusing about the screens at a keynote drawing favourable comparisons to the ACD's, and compared to my ACD's I can say he's full of ****, but then most of you probably knew that already.

15. Vster macrumors 6502

I think that's a great deal and getting a MBP and MacBook for your wife would be cool! :D

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Wow, you got your priorities all wrong. They won't announce a major chip upgrade in a product because it would be a waste of two minutes??? If I remember correctly, Steve Jobs has always taken time to announce evolutionary/incremental upgrades to products (AlBooks at Paris, 2G iPod, mentioning and relaying the specs of the DUal 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5 at WWDC 2004). MacBooks didn't get ANY event release. We can pretty much take both of our theories and throw them out the window at this point.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

For 2 grand I would buy that 17" MacBook Pro in a heart beat and never look back. I really wouldn't care if Memorems came out the next week. That is a real nice discount and your lucky you have stores, not some bum online vendor where its generally a scam anyway. Just play around with the MBP before you buy incase something is wrong.

18. Sonic macrumors regular

Hi mackstar,
    Please please please, if you are based in Tokyo, let me know where this wonderful deal can be found! I will be buying a new mac on monday as soon as I know what the results of WWDC are, and strangely enough my current mac just died today.
    I would buy in a flash if it was available in the shops here...
    PM me or email if you like,
    Thanks,
    Sonic

[edit] sorry if you've already got this message on email / PM!