17 Inch Powerbook - cannot change battery while asleep

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NuPowerbook, Mar 14, 2004.

1. NuPowerbook macrumors member

I just tried changing my Powerbooks battery while it was sleeping, and when I removed the battery, the computer just shut off. I tried resetting the PMU, and the PRM and NVRAM, but it still dies when pulling the old battery out. I am fully updated and running 10.3.2. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to send my laptop into Apple for service considering it was just replaced because the previous one was a lemon.

Also, does anyone have experience with Tekserve in New York City, or Alliance Computer Systems in Freeport or Wantaugh? Do they offer walk in same day repair? If that's possible, I would much rather do that than be without my Powerbook again because I am a student. Last time I had the issue, my Powerbook was gone for a good month of non use at Apple, and I am not in the mood, nor do I have the real option to do that again because now my schoolwork is ramping up.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you expected when you removed the battery. Unless you had the computer plugged into the wall when you did so how did you expect it to keep running without any power source? If its sleeping, and not plugged into the wall, its still running off the battery, ever so slightly. Removing the battery is of course going to make it turn off.

If its plugged into the wall when you remove the battery I would assume it would stay on and then maybe you have a genuine problem. Otherwise maybe you are expecting miracles to happen. If you can get it to keep sleeping while removing the battery without having it plugged into the wall then you should take up a career in magic.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's supposed to be a small battery keeping enough of a charge so you can swap out the depleted battery with a fresh one. I don't have or need a second battery, so I really can't try it out myself. But I can say that what happened is not normal, but I think you figured that out.

Celeron: unlike just about every x86 based laptop, Apple laptops have been able to hot-swap batteries for a few years now, since at least the G4 TiBook, and possibly before. So maybe someone at Apple should get "a degree in magic" :p

4. NuPowerbook thread starter macrumors member

I don't mean to sound rude with this response, but it may come out this way. All Aluminum Powerbooks save the 12 inch can have the battery replaced while in sleep mode. There is an internal backup battery that supplies power to the RAM while this is happening, it is also the battery that powers the PMU while there is no external power (battery or AC). The internal battery has about 1 minute worth of capacity in it so you can successfully change a battery out while in sleep mode. Now, for the part that may be construed as rude. Please don't contribute something if you have no idea what you are talking about. A quick search on google, or apple support would reveal that I am not talking out of my ass, while you are. Here is the first answer from Apple support :Here. As I said, I don't mean to sound rude, I am just frustrated, and your answer did not help at all.

5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

My bad, I stand corrected.