17 inch powerbook orders

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Heart Break Kid, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003
    ok i just ordered my 17inch powerbook along with a backpack case, ms office (dont hate me..i need it), medal of honor, a printer and the app care

now. whats the deal? i spent the last few days reading over the forums and everyones complaining about getting their Alubooks on or before march 20th

my order status says est shipping is on or before 04/25
    god damnit!!
    i cant wait that long

im gonna go crazy
    is their any way i can harass these people so theyll gimme my pb faster?

i want it now
    now now now now now
  2. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Re: 17 inch powerbook orders

One of the folks in the other 17" thread mentions that Mac Mall might have inventory coming in. You could call them and see if they really do. If they have them sitting around - I imagine you could get one FedEx'ed to you. I don't think using MS office is a crime - I think the animosity towards MS has to do with the creation of an dos overlay shell several years ago... might have infringed on some patents... what was it called, oh yes... Windows. Anyway, MS became a large shareholder of Apple in the late 90s (in return for apple dropping some litigation), so you can think of Office as an Apple software cousin.
  3. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    Boo hoo. I ordered mine on Jan 7 and it's still not here. So cry me a river since you might have to wait as long as everyone else.

Deal with it, at least you getting a killer machine.
  4. nanosound macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2002
    I heard they added two more monkeys to the assembly line, so now they are cranking out 4 PB 17"ers a day.

I ordered mine from MacZone on Jan. 22. At the time it was 7-10 weeks wait (Apple Store). But mine is backordered on a waiting list of 9 people--we're not talking high volume here.

I assume Maczone will get them around the time MacMall gets them, and MacZone has NO dates from Apple, not even wild guesses.

I agree, it is a ridiculously long wait for the thing. Remember the iMac? I guess Apple is known not only for slow chips, but also slow supply chains.

If this is a sign of anything, the local Apple store finally has ONE in the window. That's it.
  5. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2003
    Marketing move

Perhaps it is just a marketing move to get the 12" and 15" sold. Part of my consideration in buying the 12" was that I could not wait 3 months for computer. Not to mention the three month wait I had anticipating MacWorld keynote. I cant wait to see one!
  6. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    Email earlier this afternoon reads:

7. LosJackal macrumors member

Feb 13, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  8. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003
    yah i know i gotta wait
    but i cant!

damnit. i cant wait to become a starbucks junkie
    you know the kind. the people who sit in starbucks with their laptops and pretend their doing important work but are really playin quake or something. :D

i hate the waits

ahh well...

guess i just gotta get used to it

heres to all the envious looks we'll get when be bust out our PB's
  9. nanosound macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2002
    LosJackal: Palo Alto, Steve's home town. Youmight even see him there on occasion. All the Apple execs were there for the Jaguar launch party recently. The window demo could be one of the 20 or so at MacWorld that were on display, but it wouldn't have taken that long for the store to get it.

Waiting sucks.

Love the thread about Chuck --they had their baby before he got his new 17".

DHagan: March 15th???? My mistake--they only added one more monkey to the line--guess it's not slapping the parts together fast enough.

My question to Apple: What's taken so f%#@ long to make this thing?

Waiting sucks.
  10. nanosound macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2002
    If this is any solace, the Apple Store now says 5-7 weeks when it used to say 6-8. So it does appear to be on schedule. But it's still a long time to go.
  11. Skandranon macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2002
    North Carolina

When do you think I can just walk into an Apple Store and walk out with a brand new 17" PowerBook? MWNY 2003?

This is absolutely ridiculous. I think they're holding off on the 17" so that they can release AND ship the 15" APB. And simultaneously skank me out of another couple hundred bucks on the TiBook I'm trying to sell.

12. LosJackal macrumors member

Feb 13, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Ridiculous? No. Without precendent? No. Frustrating? A bit. Understandable? Yes.

Apple "announced" a new product. Not available yet, but if you want to buy one, go ahead and order it. You won't be charged until it ships. Waiting a month or two until it is "released" isn't out of the ordinary.

Pay attention to some other companies. Certainly at least a month or two can pass after "announcement" than a product is "released".

Personally, I went through a long wait back in October of 1999, when I ordered the top-end PowerMac G4 with a Cinema Display. During that time, Apple reduced the top-end processor speed from 500 to 450 due to availability problems. Three months after ordering I finally got my Cinema Display delivered then the computer a few days later.
  13. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003
    ok so heres my thing
    since this powerbook is my first mac in almost 8 years i got to get reaquainted with these

was wondering
    anyone know of any cool apps? like for dling music, videos etc

im just soo freakin giddy rite now
    yah yah yah
    finally ditched my crashing dell

14. rideahyperLite macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    Re: So....

um i went to my apple store today ready to order a new 17" pb. when i was there the other day some employee told me that if i ordered quickly that i would see it by march 1st (when the store is sopposedly getting theirs in). so today i asked another employee if he could guarantee that it would reach me by march 1st. he laughed and told me that if i ordered it from apple it could take months. he then told me that i should fill out one of those 'contact me' things that will let me know when a 17" comes in. he said that i could walk in and buy one, but he said that i should come in as soon as they call me because they will only hold it for about a day. hope this helps
  15. Shrek macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2002
    Nashville, Tennessee USA
  16. nanosound macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2002
    Heart Break:

Music: Start with Reason. Abelton Live is also real popular. Try the demos.

Video: You will have iMovie already with OS X. You can do some decent videos with that. And if you go pro, you can get FCP express or the full version.

Must have: Windowshade utility from Unsanity. Also good is Labels X.

I hear DiskWarrior is great as a drive utility.

Have fun.
  17. Raiden macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2002
    Are you a Shawn Michaels fan HBK? :) Looking forward to Wrestlemania? I am!
  18. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003
    Shawn Michaels...Whose that?

course im an HBK fan...but being a Canuk.....Bret Hart is god, closley followed by Owen ( :( ..miss that bastard alot)

i was at last years wrestlemania in Toronto

cant wait for this years
    gonnna have to order it since i live no where near the west coast

lookin more fwd to gettin ma mac though

i hate waiting