Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofthesun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
I am wondering if the 17" intel imac really is silent. Currently my 20" isight buzzes so much that it interferes with my recordings.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
MacRumorUser said:
20" iMac Duo quiet as anything. Rarely hear a noise coming out of it...
Agreed. My 20" Duo is quieter then the Rev. B 2.0 Ghz iMac I had. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or how many applications I have on, I have yet to hear it make a sound.

briansanderson

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
My iMac 17" does not make any noise. You have to really concentrate on listening to just hear the fans. I absolutely love this iMac. The best computer I have ever owned.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
My 17-inch is quiet as well. I did do the Apple hardware test though, and the fans (I THINK it was the fans) picked up twice and I swear it sounded like someone turned on a vacuum cleaner. I'm not sure if that's normal or not... it only did it while that was in though, so whatever.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yeah, I got the same sound when I did the hardware test, but I've never heard those fans during normal use. This thing is completely silent. It gets warm, too, but not excessively hot. I'm very happy with the noise level.

Oh, it's a 20" Intel iMac, btw.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
my iMac 17" is very silent. I can't tell it's on ... of course I used to have a MDD Dual G4 ... THAT was loud.

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
you guys are lucky

i have the iMac G5 17" Rev A and its so LOUD and ANNOYING

it gets loud after using it for more than one hour and when i turn it off its so peaceful

other than the fan noise i like my imac :)

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
MacRumoron said:
you guys are lucky

i have the iMac G5 17" Rev A and its so LOUD and ANNOYING

it gets loud after using it for more than one hour and when i turn it off its so peaceful

other than the fan noise i like my imac :)

Agreed. I really wish that my first mac wasn't so damn loud. I too have a Rev A iMac G5 17" and i love it to death....except for when it comes to the fan noise. I usually don't let it get to me, but when I do it just downright depresses me, because there is no fix for it. I wish there was a way to destroy the internals of my computer without apple knowing it was me, so that my applecare would cover me for a new intel iMac.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
jrk07 said:
Agreed. I really wish that my first mac wasn't so damn loud. I too have a Rev A iMac G5 17" and i love it to death....except for when it comes to the fan noise. I usually don't let it get to me, but when I do it just downright depresses me, because there is no fix for it. I wish there was a way to destroy the internals of my computer without apple knowing it was me, so that my applecare would cover me for a new intel iMac.

Switch the voltage selector to 120V and connect it to a 240V outlet? ^_^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.