17" LCD Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 3lions, Jun 25, 2005.

1. 3lions macrumors member

I just got my 12" powerbook this week, I'm now looking for a 1280-1024 res 17" monitor for home use, watching dvds (the odd game ;) )etc. for around $200 (if possible)

What kind of response time do I need for dvds to play without streaking and how bright does it need to be.

and anything else you think I should know before buying one :p

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Have a look here: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20041123/index.html.

Its a roundup of 8 17 inch LCD screens. Although the article is six months old, most of the monitors will probably still be current.

My neighbour recently bought two of the Shuttle 17 inchers and oh my are they tasty. They were expensive when he got them a few months ago but they are so so nice and would complement any lovely Mac happily. I don't know how much they go for now though.

Phil

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been using a Philips 170 (DVI) for a while and it's been good enough to watch movies on.

As a side note, "LCD display" is a bit redundant - the D in LCD means Display :)

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm using a 17" LCD along with my Power Mac. A very nice display. Does very well for DVD movies.

5. 3lions thread starter macrumors member

which brand/model?

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry, it's made by Apple. :eek: They no longer purchase this particular model. THe only way to obtain one would be through the refurb store or eBay.

7. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I think eBay is a better option. I saw one in the refurb store for $599. At that price you might as well get a 20 inch Dell on sale.

8. 3lions thread starter macrumors member

9. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

It looks like it would be a nice monitor. But I would never buy a monitor without looking at one of that particular model. What if for whatever reason you really don't like it? (unless it had overwhelmingly positive reviews from all the internet, then I might buy something sight unseen)

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Only downside to the one you linked is no DVI interface, which means no digital. DVI always yields better image quality than VGA on an LCD. Don't settle for an analog-only LCD.

11. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

still love my samsung 930b. Its a 19in but samsung also makes a 17in model as well. Same thing expect for the screen size. dvi and vga, and usually can get it for around 250 or so with rebates.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No one's mentioned the Dells yet?

I have a Dell 1704 FPV that I'm very happy with, that cost me $279, tax and shipping included. A lot of people seem to use a Dell LCD monitor with their Macs and I haven't heard anything bad about the current versions of the monitors.

If you look around or wait for a couple of weeks, there'll almost certainly be a money-off coupon available. One expired just yesterday (28th June), where you could have got the 1704 FPT for $210.

Apparently there are no coupons at the moment for the 17", but if you want to go larger, there are coupons here http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/lcd_monitor_deals.htm.

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That should not have expired if the date is the 28th cause today is the 27th, US, eastcoast....

14. 3lions thread starter macrumors member

the 1704 FDT deal still looks valid to me, that looks like a nice monitor with a dvi interface but with a horizontal viewing angle of only 70 degrees, is that good enough?

15. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

These Acers are an excellent deal and they are good quality. They have them at school, but unfortunatly they run XP. They're still beautiful monitors and they have tons of features, like DVI and good ms.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Duh - don't know what made me think this was June 29th.

I think Dell gives the viewing angle as from each side, so 70 degrees is really 140 degrees. Looking at my own one that sounds about right. $210 looks like a steal to me.

17. 3lions thread starter macrumors member

I think it would be actually $226 because one of the coupons exppired a week ago (i think) So it's just a $20 discount right now.