17"LCD studio display problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shill, Dec 31, 2003.

1. shill macrumors newbie

Problem with my Apple 17" LCD display when connected to my powerbook. When connected it displays at least 4 repeating screen images stacked on top of each other. After changing resolution (takes several times) display works but seems to lack red (color not correct at all) I had moved the display and thought somethng happened to it then but I hooked it up to a G4 tower and it worked brilliantly. Next I suspected the power adapter but it ran again on the g4 on the other monitor port perfectly with the power adapter. I then suspected the powerbook so I hooked up a Lacie crt to it and it displayed fine so I tried the apple again and again it behaved this erratic way. Any suggestions?
    thanks
    Scot

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Maybe a stupid question but how are you attaching it? Via an DVI-ADC adapter?

3. shill thread starter macrumors newbie

Not for the LCD display into the powerbook-for the Lacie to Powerbook yes..

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Are you sure that's not the other way round? The 17" studio display only has a ADC interface and needs an DVI to ADC adapter to work. This adapter provides power and USB to the Apple monitors. The 15 and 17" powerbooks have a DVI adapter - this will work directly with most other manufacturers TFTs but not Apples.

5. shill thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry I didn't understand the jargon. I've been using this display for over a year with the powerbook with the power supply/usb adapter-as mentioned-now suddenly have unexplained problems.
    thanks

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

That's very odd then..can you try another apple display on your adaptor/powerbook. Maybe it's the adapter?

7. shill thread starter macrumors newbie

that does seem logical but the G4 tower I hooked up to has a powered port and an umpowered port. The display worked fine through with the power supply on the unpowered port,, I even unplugged it to make sure it needed the power supply, it did it went off.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Hmmmm....stumped. Anyone else got any bright ideas?