17" MacBook Pro doesn't support 1080p?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Balli, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that the new 17" MacBook Pros had a screen resolution of 1920 x 1200, but after a brief trip to my local Apple Store I was surprised to find out that the maximum resolution of the MacBook Pros is only 1680 x 1050! So does that mean they don't support 1080p video? Or does the MacBook Pro do some sort of scaling trick?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not sure where you got that impression.

Apple website says: 1680 x 1050 resolution

I don't see any info about which HD resolution supported anywhere.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It doesn't support 1080p video at its native resolution unless an external display is used. Scaling is required to fit it on the low resolution MBP 17" screen. I think its very disappointing that Apple don't offer high resolutions on the 15 and 17" MBPs, not even as an option. I've used 1920x1200 resolution laptops (15" and 17") before and I personally believe the resolution to be fantastic and not too small. It should have been an option.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

True, welcome to the World of Suck Resolution on Apple notebooks. Definitely one negative thing about'em...

5. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

It was an assumption on my part. I've been using 17" Sony and Dell laptops at work with 1920x1200 resolutions, and got into an argument with a Mac-hater at work, who claimed the 17" MacBook Pro had lower resolutions, so I went to my local Apple Store (Regent Street) to see for myself.

6. Balli thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe we will get our higher resolutions when Leopard is released in Spring. (What with it's Resolution Independent UI). That maybe explains why Apple is transferring all it's programs (iCal, iTunes, etc) to a new look, as it might be easier to vectorise?

7. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

true, i do sometimes that my MBP 17" had a higher resolution, but it will suffice for now