17" MacBook Pro Hard drive replacement...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevenb, May 8, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Aug 25, 2008
    Well, after five years the old hard drive is on its way out. I have a new Seagate 750GB 7200 rpm to replace the 200GB one. I need to replace both fans anyway as they are loud, and going to replace the thermal compound as well. Basically, going to go through it. Hope it works when I am done. I now have Lion as my OS and no disc obviously as it was downloaded.

So, do I just replace the hard drive and install Snow Leopard, and then Lion afterwards? I have the hard drive backed up on a Time Capsule, but does it back-up the OS (i.e. Lion).

My iMac hard drive just failed under warranty and the Apple Store put Lion back on it when they returned it. So, I did not have to do any re-install of the OS. I just restored everything else off the Time Capsule.

Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Yes, the time capsule basically clones the hard drive. If you start up from your Snow Leopard disk and restore from a time machine backup, it will be basically identical to how you left it before replacing the hard drive.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 25, 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am hoping it will be that easy. Not a huge deal to install Lion again, but just more time. I will let you know after this weekend. Hope it starts up after the surgery.