Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Definitely agree with the need for a matt screen (I'm a teacher and watch as all my students with newer Macs struggle to reduce glare under the fluorescent lights). I haven't noticed anyone remark on Apple omitting the video connector from the new laptop lineup--that's now a $30 expense if you want to use that fancy new mini-video port to connect to a projector!

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
Apple did the same thing when they switched from Ti to Al for the Powerbooks. The 12" and 17" Powerbooks were introduced together, and the 15" was still Titanium. The 15" switch to Al didn't happen for another 6 months.

LogicPro74

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
I couldn't wait......

I went and snatched up a 15" today and was sad to find out that the 2.8 was special order only. Since then I have been stuck at work unable to even unbox it yet :(

LP74

hikaru nakamura

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
17"

I understand a lot of people out there are not too happy with the glossy screen. I personally have not had a problem with mine on my Macbook anywhere (inside or out). I did however like the idea that Apple gave you the choice. The only thing I don't understand is the the amount of people b*tching about the lack of FW400 on new notebooks. Honestly most consumer devices you buy will be connected to the Macbook via USB. On top of that the Pro models are marketed towards professionals and they want to make it as efficient as possible. I have a feeling that Apple believes that the FW400 will start to be made less and less while support will move to FW800 & FW3200 because it moves data faster making it a more efficient option for the professional work place.

Nepenthe

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Minnesota
Is anyone wondering what they could possibly be announcing at Macworld 2009 this time? I mean iPhone 3G is still new, the MacBooks are brand spanking new, the cinema display is brand spanking new besides other size screens, and the iMac is not ready for a new look yet. Steve said that touch screen laptops and displays "don't make sense right now", so what could it be? Good 'ol Mac Pro update? Boring.............

These seem realistic to me.
- OS 10.6
- MacPro + Nehalem
- iPhone nano
- Displays (?)
- Some other product update (Apple TV, MacMini... ?)
- Some big "Conceptual" update that they don't expect most people to get right away.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
What a joke? :rolleyes:

Apple Market Share plummets back to ~5% with the recession talk and all. Plus offering they consumers no choice. Seems the only factor keeping them a float is the iPhone and iPods, wonder how long that will last once the "cool factor" dies. :rolleyes:

Time for a hackintosh. ;):D
What makes it a joke? Do you not remember less than a decade ago when Apple's entry-level consumer notebook pricing started at $1,599? Do you not remember when the top-of-the-line 17'' PowerBook used to start at $3,299? Apple has never been one for "budget pricing," and $1,299 would actually be one of their lower entry level prices.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
so they just gave up on 17" sales? who is actually going to buy a new 17" mbp when they know (yes know) that new ones are just a few months away.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Apple employee advises couple AGAINST the new MBP's

I popped into the Regent Street store in London after work today, and had a good look at the 15" MBP amoungst the scrum. I was impressed, all minus the screen. The build quality is fantastic and I do prefer it to the older design now I have seen it in person. The old design looked a little aged next to it, but still stunning of course. :p

Anyhow, I was eavesdropping on a conservation between two people and an employee there. They mentioned to him they heard of some new laptops and came down to check. He asked what they were looking to use the laptops for... They replied that it was for their son who has just started university doing a graphic design course (my ears always pick up those two words no matter how noisy the surroundings :p lol).

Anyway there was a short pause as he looked at them. He then said something I didn't quite believe. He told them that he would advise against the new laptops. He continued to say that he would recommend the 17" model simply because the colours aren't accurate on the new ones compared to the older one, mentioning they could only get the matte option on the 17" models. I would have thought the employees would have been asked to push the new MBP's, but it didn't appear like that in this case anyhow. They all ambled off to the table with the 17" MBP's a table away and out of ear-shot, no idea how it went down from there.

Yes I know they could be ordered to clear 17" stock - but I appreciate the honesty from the Apple guy and find it amusing that the screen issue, which seem irrelevant to some people on MR, forced a potential sale away from the new MBP format to the old one.

Just thought I'd share and stoke the fires a bit more lol :cool:

unkle77

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
PDX, Oregon
yay....

now we get to hear nonstop speculations and rumors about this now.

think i am going to stop visiting this site for awhile now... it really has gotten out of control.

cjmagee

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
17" Mbp

I wonder whether the wait is to allow access to quad core mobile chips...

Plus wouldn't it be nice if the nice glass touchpad was an actual display like the iphone, maybe a version of the dock on it?

Oh and one more thing..

i have no preference over matte or glossy.;)

I shall return to lurking now

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Would you pay for matte?

Personally, I love my 17" glossy screen and use it in all sorts of lighting conditions, mainly for Java software development with occasional Final Cut Pro and iPhoto work. I understand the problem people have with the lack of a choice though.

I'd assume that they've been selling more of the glossy screens so they're trying to save money by standardizing on it. If they offered the option for matte for a premium price (because it's a special order), would you still be as upset with Apple?

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
Honestly most consumer devices you buy will be connected to the Macbook via USB. On top of that the Pro models are marketed towards professionals and they want to make it as efficient as possible. I have a feeling that Apple believes that the FW400 will start to be made less and less while support will move to FW800 & FW3200 because it moves data faster making it a more efficient option for the professional work place.

I agree, the same way they pushed everything to optical drives and killed the floppy with the G3 iMac. The only thing is that they left MB buyers high and dry with no support for FW800. So the got rid of the old port, but didn't give them the new one.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Yes I know they could be ordered to clear 17" stock - but I appreciate the honesty from the Apple guy and find it amusing that the screen issue, which seem irrelevant to some people on MR, forced a potential sale away from the new MBP format to the old one.

Just thought I'd share and stoke the fires a bit more lol :cool:

I was there today too and I was really suprised how many 17" models were on display - I expected to find just a few, around all the new models.

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
I agree, the same way they pushed everything to optical drives and killed the floppy with the G3 iMac. The only thing is that they left MB buyers high and dry with no support for FW800. So the got rid of the old port, but didn't give them the new one.

They're waiting for USB3.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE SCREEN Matte.
It actually makes the screen worse....(the color and the contrasts)
Do people like you not get it?

I'm using an imac right this moment in my university's library. And guess what. I can see my damn sweater I'm wearing at this very moment. It DOESNT HAPPEN at all with matte screens.

You may like it
But a lot of people do not. Look at the complaints and such in this forum.
It's the lack-of-option that is making people unhappy, not Matte is better than glossy.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
What makes it a joke? Do you not remember less than a decade ago when Apple's entry-level consumer notebook pricing started at $1,599? Do you not remember when the top-of-the-line 17'' PowerBook used to start at $3,299? Apple has never been one for "budget pricing," and $1,299 would actually be one of their lower entry level prices.

I have been a long time Mac User and Purchaser, when you are talking a decade ago the price premium was due to the PPC chip and the lack of standard components that Apple refused to incorporate.

5 years to a decade later, Apple is using the same x86 chip as the rest of the industry along with other standard components. There is no reason for the entry price to be this high. Unless its regarding greed and absurd profits. Remember what it did to the US financial system. Well you can put 2 and 2 together. ;):p

Apple will lose any gains, when people start smartening up and consider that one of the prime reasons they are using glossy screen is because the LCD panel is inferior to boost profits at the cost of quality. Comparing themselves to Porsche and BMW, insulting. Apple as of recent is just a cheap hack or should I say an expensive hack of the computing industry. Sad indeed. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.