17'' MBP Doubles As A Riot Sheild

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbrosemer, Jun 13, 2006.

1. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Don't get me wrong I love my 17'' MBP when you have it closed it looks so sexy so long and yet not that wide then when you open it the true (bohemith)-not sure on the spelling-comes out. This is a big "notebook" not laptop because that hot Aluminium should not be put near ceartin places. However it works very nicley on a desk and is very easy to type on, not to mention that it keeps my hands warm.

Truly this computer could be used to protect one from an oncoming bullet should the sitaution arise, it is big so just duck behind it and hope they dont want to damage the mac ;):p :D :p ;)

2. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

As I understand it, aluminum is a soft metal. It's not a suitable shield from a bullet :p

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As celebrian23 has said, I don't think that the MacBook Pro is bullet resistant. If someone shoots at you and you use your MBP as a shield, the bullet may continue on a little farther than you would like.

4. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

2010 will see the new kevlar macbook pro! precisely engineered for protecting you from bullets at any time. it just works.

just you wait!

S

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It says on Apple site though, that the MacBooks plastic is made from the same material used in bulletproof glass. I wouldn't test this on my own MB, but if a willing MB owner will atempt to prove, I'd like to watch...:D

6. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

haha..that doesnt make it bulletproof though :D it would have to be thick as, um, a Dell..

7. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Bullet-proof glass, as well as other security items, are usually built by layers, with one thin, resistent material sandwiched between thick, more fragile material. It's marked at the point of impact of a bullet (spider-web-style), but doesn't shatter, so that the protection is still there after the impact.

My point: if one MB is not enought, stack a couple of them together !

NB: The MB being a notebook, on the desk, what about your legs? iPods on the ankles?

8. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

9. danired18 macrumors member

What if the bullet went through the Hard Drive....i hear it is pretty thick..

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

actually the kevlar wont be built in to the computer; the computer will be built into the kevlar

11. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

HAHAHA i'm going along with this

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I know that is what Apple.com has to say about it, but I for one would not be willing to test this feature. :)

13. louiek macrumors 6502

Tying a couple of threads together here, if Apple do partner with Nintendo, could you play Zelda using the wii-mote as a sword, strap your powerbook to your arm (maybe with those ipod armband thingies) and wirelessly send the sudden motion sensor data to use it as a shield?

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, I don't think that will work louiek. ;)

15. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

:D Im game.

16. Arnaud macrumors 6502

At least, they could propose a bundle package, like these "Gamecube+DK Congas", which would be then: Wii + MB + iPod armbands + Link's green hat. Very trendy.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Remember, there are different levels to bulletproof capability. Unlike Hollywood portraits in their movies.

Let me put it another way. It may stop one bullet. But the next one goes right through.

Being bulletproof all depends on many things.

18. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Didn't they say the Titanium used for the last Powerbook was the same as the one for space aircrafts ? (Obviously, one component of said aircrafts...)

Anyhow, maybe we could use them to fix-up patches of faulty space shuttles...

Hey, that's a way to go for recycling these machines in a couple of years: say, a car made only of discarded MBs and TiPBs ! (Luckily enough, you can run iTunes on at least one of them...)

19. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

... with the amount of heat the MBP's seem able to handle, there is no doubt in my mind that they could be used to patch the shuttle. :cool:

20. bbrosemer thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Can anyone else say future heat sheild on the shuttle ;) 200 old Powerbooks....

21. swano macrumors member

iFlack

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

True. And also, I'm not so sure that even the makers of the "glass" (plastic) would call them "bulletproof". I think it's more like "bulletresistant". There are many types of bullets and many types of "glass" that what works under one set of conditions might not necessarily work under another.

But if someone is willing to experiment, be my guest. I'm just not volunteering any of my stuff.

23. Willehard macrumors newbie

Willehard

24. bbrosemer thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

I really think I am beginning to understand what the gov't spends all of our tax money on...bulletproof armor made from Mac's .... :) :)

25. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

But the TiBooks can. 1mm of titanium can stop some bullets:D