Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Well, It's here. Thought I'd start posting my first impressions. If you have any questions or tests you want me to run, let me know.

1. Build Quality. Looks the same as the MBP. Size wise, it is bigger, but not noticeably so. There is so much real estate that I hope I can use it.

2. Whine. The all important question ... I've only been using it for a few minutes so lets see what happens but as of right now there is no whine. I unplugged the magsafe and listened. No whine. Opened up photo booth - didn't make a difference so I'm pretty sure I'm not hearing it.

3. Heat - don't know yet, but will post in a few hours.

4. Screen - no dead pixels. This might be a perception issue but it seems less bright than the 15" MBP. Maybe I just got used to the screen with the old one but the difference is less dramatic in this one ...

Going to run the extended hardware test now so will be back in 10 mins or so ...

What a difference 2 inches makes though - the screen is HUGE! But the machine doesn't feel too big to handle

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Well, that was a quick honeymoon,

The screen just flickered and went yellow. It switches back and forth on its own volition. But, it definitely doesn't look as bright as the 15" MBP I had.

On the phone with Applecare right now. Anyone heard of this screen flicker issue before? On other machines I mean.

eV

iEugene

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
AZ
I'm intrested to hear another review after about two weeks or so as far as the whine and heat problems go, I've been wondering about this, which is strange for me considering I barely touch laptops.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
eVolcre said:
Well, that was a quick honeymoon,

The screen just flickered and went yellow. It switches back and forth on its own volition. But, it definitely doesn't look as bright as the 15" MBP I had.

On the phone with Applecare right now. Anyone heard of this screen flicker issue before? On other machines I mean.

eV

sheesh, you just keep breaking your mbp's dont you :rolleyes: :D

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
robert-a-hudson said:
sheesh, you just keep breaking your mbp's dont you :rolleyes: :D

:mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

No whine though ... Applecare thinks it might be a bad video card which apparently 'happens'. My machine is probably one of the 1st 100 off the line.

It's Depressing Though. :( :(

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
icecavern said:
Is this number 4 now? :confused:

NOPE. Got the 15". DOA. Sent it back. They agreed to send me a 17" instead. This one arrived this morning, within 10 mins it's been declared DOA.

I'm taking one last chance. I'm sending this back. They're sending me a replacement 17" - I get sent to the front of the production line so it should be here by Friday. i then have 2 weeks before I leave the country. If there's any issues within a week I'm returning it and buying a refurbed G4 to tide me over.

Not sure whether to be angry or sad at this point ...

eV

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
When they say, 'it happens' does that mean they aren't gonna offer a solution/replacement?

Rich.

EDIT: Read they are replacing. Cool.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
fatsoforgotso said:
When they say, 'it happens' does that mean they aren't gonna offer a solution/replacement?

Rich.

EDIT: Read they are replacing. Cool.

I owe you an email. Been going through a bit of an emergency here not related to Apple. *hint* with 2 weeks to graduation, it is a BAD idea to TP your department ...

eV

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
eVolcre said:

eV

Neither will help at this point, you've had a really crappy run of luck but you've just got to let it run off your back, take it as a set-back and laugh it off - much better for you.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
eVolcre said:
I owe you an email. Been going through a bit of an emergency here not related to Apple. *hint* with 2 weeks to graduation, it is a BAD idea to TP your department ...

eV

Hey Krish,

Understood man, 2 weeks til my graduation also, ARGHHH.

Keep in touch buddy.

PS, sorry too hear about MBP number 2.

Rich.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Chundles said:
Neither will help at this point, you've had a really crappy run of luck but you've just got to let it run off your back, take it as a set-back and laugh it off - much better for you.

I prefer drink it off. :)

The good news is that there is definitely no whine. And the heat issue apparently seems to have been fixed. It is on my lap and it actually ... cool. Even the bottom. So, something has been fixed.

I'm going to say that the video card being bad is an anamoly that could have happened with any laptop. But the underlying issues of the MBP15 may have been fixed. (I'm going to use MBP15 and MBP17 to refer to the models. It's too long to type 15" MBP :) )

eV

icecavern

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Reading, UK
eVolcre said:
NOPE. Got the 15". DOA. Sent it back. They agreed to send me a 17" instead. This one arrived this morning, within 10 mins it's been declared DOA.

I'm taking one last chance. I'm sending this back. They're sending me a replacement 17" - I get sent to the front of the production line so it should be here by Friday. i then have 2 weeks before I leave the country. If there's any issues within a week I'm returning it and buying a refurbed G4 to tide me over.

eV

Ah sorry thought you'd had several MBP15's.

At least they seem to have given a solution quickly, even if it does mean you won't have a working machine for a bit longer.

Pete

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Here's another wierdness. The Safari version installed on this computer doesnt support tabbed browing (?????)

And the screen definitely isn't as bright as MBP15. (when its not yellow that is). Maybe they sent me a G4 by mistake ... :eek:

eV

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
eVolcre said:
I prefer drink it off. :)

eV

There ya go, now that's a solution!!!

It's true, one always presents itself.

Hope you get your MBP problems sorted out quick-smart, I wanna see some pics when it's up and running.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
eVolcre said:
Here's another wierdness. The Safari version installed on this computer doesnt support tabbed browing (?????)

And the screen definitely isn't as bright as MBP15. (when its not yellow that is). Maybe they sent me a G4 by mistake ... :eek:

eV

Did you turn on tabbed browsing? Ya gotta turn it on first, it's in Safari preferences (I know, but you have to ask the simple questions first).

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
The screen real estate is fantastic though. Assuming the next one works fine I'm glad I made the jump up in size. It isn't THAT much bigger than MBP15 but the increase in stuff I can display is amazing. I have 2 full size browser windows open and there's still room to spare!

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Chundles said:
Did you turn on tabbed browsing? Ya gotta turn it on first, it's in Safari preferences (I know, but you have to ask the simple questions first).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ummm, yeah, ummm ....

eV

(yes it works after I did that)

Cryptography

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2006
I am sorry to hear that. Mine is sitting at home (unopened)...maybe it is time to call for an RMA and wait a few more months. You would think that by Week 18 of production, they would be better. :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Cryptography said:
I am sorry to hear that. Mine is sitting at home (unopened)...maybe it is time to call for an RMA and wait a few more months. You would think that by Week 18 of production, they would be better. :eek:

Are you mad?! I'd be sticking my fingers down my throat and going home with a "stomach lurgy" before you could say "Your MacBook Pro is here."

Cryptography

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2006
Chundles said:
Are you mad?! I'd be sticking my fingers down my throat and going home with a "stomach lurgy" before you could say "Your MacBook Pro is here."

I have been called that a few times for sure...if it weren't for a little meeting with the boss today, I would have. Hard part is keeping the wife from ripping it open before I get home. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.