17" MBP options in Apple Stores????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shoe11, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. shoe11 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #1
    Haven't stopped in at my local Apple store in some time. Does anyone know if they are offering an "Ultimate" 17" MBP configuration as they did with the 15" MBP???

    The 15" at the time was configured with the 2.16 and 7,200 HD installed so you could walk in and pick one up instead of having to custom order and wait for it to ship.

    Interested in a 17" with the 7,200 HD and glossy screen and would prefer to be able to pick one up directly as opposed to ordering. On a side note has Apple made any of the MBP configs available in store with the glossy screen option???

    ~shoe
     
  2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK/US
    #2
  3. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #3
    Had not called as yet. As it's still before opening time for the stores in Virginia just thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone knew.
     
  4. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan & Zürich
    #4
    Can I ask if you travel a lot with this laptop? 17 seems a bit too big for portability reasons, but the screen size does attract me...
     
  5. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #5
    No, I don't travel alot with my current 17". It's primarily used as a desktop replacement. That said when I do travel and take it with me I'm not really bothered by it's size or weight as I'm a rather large fellow to begin with! ;)
     
  6. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan & Zürich
    #6
    Oh okay. I need something for school so it looks either MB or 15inch MBP. Thanks!

    PS I'm a big guy too. ; )
     
  7. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #7
    Well to give you a little feedback given your need, a few weeks ago (before the 17 was announced) I purchased a 15 MBP. I was using it on the iLap stand that I had purchased to support my old 17 PowerBook. The 15 MBP I'd say was only about an inch or so smaller than my 17 was on the iLap. So if you are a big guy and really want the 17 I'd say go for it.

    ~shoe
     
  8. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan & Zürich
    #8
    Thanks! I'll think about it, I just don't know if I could afford it. :(
     
  9. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #9
    Yeah I can relate to that. When the MacBook has a large % of the performance of the MBP at a lot lower price point it's hard I think for alot of poeple to pull the trigger on a 17 MBP even though I feel you get a lot for the additional money you have to put out. All a question of whether it's worth it. I was close to getting the 17 when the MB came out, but now I'm back on the fence with the release of the MB and the fact that I think we are getting close to the Merom refresh in a few months.
     
  10. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #11
    God if you're having trouble making up your mind on what Mac notebook to buy right now when I tell you what Merom is you're probably going to be in a bigger mess than when you didn't know. :D

    Basically it's Intel's next major processor architecture referred to as Core2 Duo. As provided by Intel's site:

    "Intel is developing a mobility-optimized, dual-core processor based on the new, state of the art, Intel Core microarchitecture, codenamed Merom. The Merom processor will work within the Intel® Centrino Duo® mobile technology-based platform and Merom is targeted for introduction to align with the 2006 holiday buying season."
     
  11. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #12
    Should add that the release date for Merom is expected in more like the August time frame. When Apple decides to start putting them in the Mac notebooks is a guess at this time. I'll guess Aug to Oct of this year. Do some searching there have been tons of posts about this topic already.

    ~shoe
     
  12. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan & Zürich
    #13
    Thanks again! Well, I am not too concerned, when I am ready to purchase (in January), I will get whatever is available in the refurbed store.

    I love my iBook now but the 1024x768 screen resolution really sucks. : (
     
  13. shoe11 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2005
    Location:
    Virginia
    #14
    Your in good shape by waiting until January. Lots of Mac/Intel related questions should be pretty well sorted out by then I'd bet.
     
  14. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan & Zürich

Share This Page