17" MBP Spits Out CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dyuta, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Dyuta macrumors member

A most disquieting and inexplicable problem: I recently purchased a CD (independent artist). However, when I put it into my MBP's drive, it gets spit back out again. I haven't had this problem with any other discs (either audio CD, data CD, DVD movie or data DVD). I'm at a complete loss as to why this happens.

Also, the CD is read just fine by my Dell laptop. So, I suppose it isn't a problem with the CD?

Help, anyone?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've occasionally had this problem with CDs. Does your Dell laptop have a tray-loading drive? Slot-loading drives are somewhat pickier about accepting discs than tray-loading drives. When I was ripping my CD collection, I came across a few CDs that were rejected by both my PowerBook and 14" iBook. Fortunately I had my old 12" iBook with tray-loading drive that I could use to rip the CDs.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

You said independant, so probably not, but just to make sure: Are you positive it's not copy protected?

Some kinds of copy protection, since they can't install nasty business on a Mac, basically make the CD appear corrupted, so your computer just hacks it back out thinking it's unreadable. I've never seen one of these myself, but I've heard tell that they exist.

If not, WildCowboy's theory is the most likely.

It could also be that it's a "bad" CD and your laptop drive is less forgiving than your Windows box. I wouldn't expect it to be much of a problem in this day and age, but I suppose you've a statistically higher chance of getting a poorly mastered CD out of an indie company than somebody big.

4. wmjbutler macrumors newbie

macbook pro spits out some but not all CDs

Hi,

I've got the same option with my cd drive, working my way back though my DVD collection, some will work fine first time, others however are just spat back out.

was getting frustrated so bought an external CD drive coz i thought it was an issue with the laptops drive. but that does the same with the same CDs as before.

i thought it might be software, but the Cds that dont work now have in the past, so i dont understand why the new drive wont work

any1 help?