17 mins to import 100MB in IMovie?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bear1973, Dec 9, 2006.

1. bear1973 macrumors member

I am currently importing a 100MB MP4 movie into iMovie with my 2.16 Core Duo 2 iMac (2 Gig RAM) and it's taking 17 minutes. Is that normal? That seems incredibly slow.

Any ideas why this take so long?

In general, I have found video operations painfully slow with this computer. It took up to two hours to compress a 1 GB video to 200 MB Quicktime file with iMovie. That can't be right, can it?

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I know its rilly slow i have a macbook pro and it takes a long time to export and import.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The process of decoding MPEG-4 into frame-based video is not an instantaneous process. Have you ever copied or moved a 1 GB data file? The process required minimal computational power, but it was anything but instantaneous. The process of compressing video and storing the compressed data can be expected to take much longer.

4. bear1973 thread starter macrumors member

Fast Way to Encode/Compress

Well, then I'm obviously going about this all wrong.

Say I cut a 500 MB piece out of a DVD using Cinematize 2.0. What's the fastest way to compress that to a 50-100 MB .mov or Quicktime file suitable for posting on the web. Is there a shareware program out there to do this?

Thanks.

bear1973