17 or 20 inch iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rtjstevens, Aug 3, 2005.

1. rtjstevens macrumors regular

I need a replacement for my G4 which is now over 5 years old. I can get ed discount (BTW -connected to another thread , it IS cheaper if you 'phone Apple and order rather than from the web site!).

My question: Is the 20 inch worth the extra dosh? Yes i know about the differences in specs but I was wondering more about:
    1. Is the 20 inch a better screen (I've heard rumours that it is -fewer parallax distortions etc)
    2. Are there fewer (if any) heat dissipation problems with the cpu on max speed?

and, generally, have the frying problems with the rev A machines now completely resolved with the spec B machines.

Thanks

RTJ

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i love my revB 20inch iMac. beautiful screen, very fast (photo editing, video, etc.) and i fold with it 24/7- hasn't burned up yet ;) :D

3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

if I were going to get a new iMac i'd definately shoot for the 20". The screen size alone makes it worth it for me.

4. WeeShoo macrumors regular

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Screen on the 20" is much better than the 17", both in size and brightness. I'd go with that instead, if you can afford it.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

If you are capable of debating it due to having the funds then just go 20. I have a 20 and love it, could never think of going to a smaller screen, well unless it is portable then I go 12" ;)

And I know it is in another thread... but what is all this talk about ordering on the phone from edu is less then ordering online?

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The only real issue with the 20" is the graphics card, as the top of the range machine you really should be getting a beefier card than the entry level model...

Its always been a toss up between a 20" imac or a entry level Dual G5.

Still havn't decided yet.

8. rtjstevens thread starter macrumors regular

Apple ed In UK

The Imac is £1126 from the Apple ed store (normal price is £1199 -but with TWO years warranty if you buy from John Lewis stores in UK -but I digress...). I phoned the Apple ed store and asked if they did have lower prices if you ordered on-line; answer: 'yes'! I could get a further £18 off the price of the iMac + full Applecare would be approx £80 (rather than £115). Not a great deal better I know - but tempting!

Thanks for all the advice everone

Bw

RTJ

9. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Interesting... I will have to call the US edu store line to see if it is the same (with my luck it is not). So far I have purchased via web and inside an apple store and both were = in price.

Thanks for explaining the tip :) good luck with your decision.

10. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hrmm... I totally wanted the 20", but a 40% price increase over the 17" 1.8ghz iMac... I just can't afford that being a college student.

Plus I have another 17" LCD around here somewhere that I will use for extra screen real estate... but I really, really wanted the 20" -- go for it if you have the cash.

11. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

go for the 20 - I bought the 17 to save a couple bucks and wish I didn't now...

12. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

How are you configuring that iMac? Going to the educational store through Oxford Uni's network, the 20 incher as standard is £1043 inc VAT. There should be at least 10% discount - £1043 is more, over the £1199.

BTW, based on the price diff between 17 and 20 inch, I'd go 20: it's not that much in the long run and it's a much nicer machine to live with and easier to sell in the future.

Attached Files:

13. rtjstevens thread starter macrumors regular

Ed pricing

Thanks; I guess it's because I work in FE and you work (as a student or lecturer) in HE. The HE site for Apple Ed can only be reached from within the HE's network and I bet they give bigger discounts! Shame!

Thanks anyway -always knew I should have worked that little bit harder to become a Uni lecturer.
    BW

RTJ :)

14. lopresmb macrumors 6502

bigger and better!!

Having used both side by side, that 20" is really sweet, in that the 3" really does make quite a difference, AND, it has a better resolution (unlike the larger screen iBook, which I still do not really understand). Advice, get the 20" - it really opens things up quite a bit :)

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Before I actually set mine up, I thought that 20" sounded/looked a bit ridiculous, now I can't imagine using any smaller of a display for a desktop. :D So get the 20", bigger scree, higher resolution, and a slightly larger HD.

16. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

We went with the 20" iMac G5 in May because we use it to watch DVDs. We love it.