17" PB -> Bluetooth -> PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andym172, Dec 4, 2003.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

I have a 17" Powerbook with bluetooth module built-in and was wondering if it's possible to create a connection to my pc (pretty up-to-date) using a D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth Adapter.

As the pc is only a couple of metre's away, it would be good if another family member could connect to the internet at the same time - thus sharing an internet connection.

So, is there any software that will make this possible, or does the hardware available to me make this impossible?

Thanks! :)

Andy.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You'd be better off using 802.11b/g to do that, both for speed and distance reasons. Bluetooth was never meant for networking, it was meant for short-range low-speed peripherals, much like USB was supposed to be.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A cheap ethernet card for the PC would be a LOT faster and probably less expensive/problematic than BT.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, just get an ethernet card for the PC (you might already have one). Just plug the ethernet cord between the PC and the PB, go to System Preferences>Sharing>Internet. Just enable internet sharing over ethernet.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That would only work if the ethernet is not already in use by on PB.

6. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ethernet is already in use in order to connect up my ADSL modem: a D-Link DSL-300G+ Ethernet ADSL Modem.

I wanted to use the current hardware available to me, but if this is not possible I'll go out and buy the necessary wireless kit for the pc.

Thanks for the advice! :)

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, just get a cheap PCI WiFi card for the desktop, they're under $40 or so now.

8. Stevp1 macrumors regular

Is it possible?

I have a need to do this too. My company won't put my 17" PB on the network, but I have a bluetooth adaptor on my PC for phone syncing. Can it be done at all?

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Why won't they let the PB on the network? I think it could be possible if you the set the PC up as a sort of modem, because that's the only way the PB will connect to it for internet access.

10. Stevp1 macrumors regular

because it's a personal laptop. Funny corporate things. I'm going to basically force them to as it will be what I start travelling with next year. any ideas on how to set up the PC?

Would Internet connection sharing do it?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Only if you can set it to share over Bluetooth, which I doubt, simply because Bluetooth wasn't designed for that, it simply doesn't have the bandwidth. Now if you were to share the ethernet connection over WiFi...